You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Steering wheel "jerks"

Has anyone ever had an experience when going thru a turn (like going around a cloverleaf) where their steering wheel will jerk or bind for just a second ?  It does not matter what direction either left or right and it does not do it every time.    Scared the heck out of me the first time it did it.   

Yes, mine will jerk if I try turn the wheels and the coach is not moving. I have always guessed their is a pressure override in the steering box, and it is relieving when in a bind. The feeling would be consistent with a spring loaded poppet opening and closing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On my '93 the steering would bind a little bit when turning. It ended up being that the wheel has an extendible setting and it was set all the way to the bottom. Once I extended it a slight amount it freed it up. There was a lever just under the horn button.
Probably not what yours is doing but worth mentioning.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

A lot of times it happens when the cooling fan kicks in. Also can be a sign of low hydraulic fluid.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Thanks, I will check these things. (It did it on the way home when I bought it and I changed the hyd oil & filter, but it still does it)

Watch your temp gauge see if it coincides with fan kicking in and temp drop

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I asked about this at Newell, and was told that when the cooling fan kicks on it will cause the steering wheel to jerk. They said there was a fix for it but did not know if they still had parts for the fix. I guess it more a problem with older coaches than the newer ones??  I just live with it and it seems not to happen every time the fan kicks on.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks Chappell, that is what I got. I called Cressley and he is looking for the repair part. Thanks again. Ken

Ken, please post it you can get the part. What year is your coach?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell, I believe Ken's coach is #473, a 1998.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com