You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Owner of somewhat defunct 1990 Newell Coach

Hi all, my name is David and I am new to the technical aspects of luxury coaches. I have a 1990 Newell Coach, with 57000 miles, which has long since been "forgotten", a term that is thrown around loosely as the coach is sort of defunct, the diesel generator up front has stopped producing electricity but it does run the same as when it was bought. The rear camera has also failed, playing noise but only showing a fuzzy screen. The plumbing, heating and air are fine as well as electrical. I am trying my hardest to revive this coach, as my family allowed it to sit so long without the proper maintenance. Tomorrow I will be taking better photos of the engine, generator, interior and exterior to follow up with this post. I am also an active member on the Ford Raptor forum in the case that any coach owners here also have one, I go by PermianRaptor on there as well. My prior experience with forums has lead me to seek one like this as the local shops are not a help at all. Many thanks in advance, photos of the coach are attached.

UPDATE: Today I started the bus, waking up on the first crank without struggle, likewise with the Yanmar generator. I checked the generator after waiting a good while for the air system to get up, about 30 min of high idle to get it to about 50 PSI. The bus never did get up to 70 PSI, nor did it sit off of the ground like it should and after killing the engine, it lost air very quickly. I did not hear any leaks but this did worry me. Along with that, one pipe did bust over the winter inside of it but that is for another day. After finally getting the air up to slide the generator out, I took notice of the model of generator. The coach has a Kohler 12.5kW generator attached to a Yanmar diesel engine. I am in desperate need of help to get this bus up and going like it was, but unfortunately due to the negligence of the previous owner, I may suffer a little bit but I feel confident about the coach.

Sorry for so many replies in one new post, but here is attached pictures of the bus. The awning was also ripped off by wind, we still have it and cant find anyone to get it back on. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys so much and I look forward to sharing the knowledge you all have!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hi david, welcome to the forum and you found the right bunch to help you out.

what i would suggest is work on one or two things at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed. i previously had a 1990, coach 236 and did almost a total restoration on it so i know them pretty well. another member of this forum now owns it.

i would start with the air system. you need to figure out what is causing it to not air up. there is lots of info here about the air system and how it is plumbed etc.

the kohler 12.5kw yanmar was the standard then. both are easy to get parts for.

if the coach has been sitting for many years, i would at some point do a complete service of engine oil, filters, fuel filters etc. both engines...but no need for now.

the genny runs, that is good. there should be a manual transfer switch up on the overhead console. just be sure it is in the position that allows the genny to power the coach. it will have 3 positions. shore off genny

there is also a breaker or fuse on the genny head at the back of the yanmar. make sure they are not tripped and good.

one way to check for air leaks is to plug into your coach an airline from a compressor. there should be a port in the passenger side engine bay. air leaks are something that we all deal with and you can start isolating the leaks to figure out where the big one is.

the best way is to ask direct questions

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What number is your coach? Last three digits of the VIN. #214 was the first 1990 model and #246 was the last. I have a 1992 #281 so our coaches are very similar. I presume you have the Detroit 8V92 with the Allison HT 740 four speed transmission. Be careful in what oil you put in the 8V92 if that is the engine you have. A low ash 40 weight oil is what Detroit recommended. I have the same generator. I have the manual with the wiring diagram if you need it. The air leaks will take so detective work to track down. All connections are suspect but since the suspension won't raise I would start examining ride height valves (1 in the front in the center left to right over the axle and one on each side in the rear behind the drive axle tires), the front and rear 6 packs (6 solenoids that controls the suspension height) and lastly the air bags. A massive leak from the air bags or ride height valves should be noticeable from the outside of the coach. You may have many leaks but only being able to get up to 70 psi isn't good. As you probably noticed, you need about 60 psi to get the air seat to raise, the generator slide out to open or close and the step cover and/or bay air slide to operate. You likely have an air operated wastewater dump valve on the passenger side of the wet bay. Those can also leak. Need more information on the awning. Is the fabric torn, if so is it just the round portion that slides into the metal cover rail or is the fabric toast? Are the end arms still attached and sturdy? Is the metal cover still in place (it is in the photo).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Looks like mine is #213. Weird, as all paperwork states it is a 90'. I will have to do some more fine looking on that. We thought it was the compressor that was going bad, but we can't seem to even find he compressor on the engine. It is the Detroit with 4 speed Allison auto. The switch is on "Generator" as well. I've been told the engine of the generator is good, but the electric catalyst (?) I'm assuming the part that creates electricity from mechanical energy, is no good and will have to hunt it down and a way to get it fixed first and foremost. But like you said, the air system needs the help. I'm not sure where exactly to run the air check.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you are going to work under the coach on the air system make sure it is on stands that will not sink into the ground. I know it's flat now but as it comes up think safety first. Pluging into a remote compressor is going to be the best way to track down the air leaks and begin to trouble shoot the air components.

Are you able to check voltage at the armature on the generator while it is running? If the fuse is set and gen is running voltage should be at the yen. This may help to see if it is the yen or the coach side.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Welcome the forum. You are in the right place for help. Tell us a little about your mechanical and electrical experience. That will help us in giving you help. I am not condescending, but the detail and explanations that we give you will be tailored in terms that you will understand. We all have different areas of expertise, and it helps to know your background.

Tom is right. One thing at a time. I would suggest air system first, since you can't move the coach until that is resolved.

Another suggestion to keep this from turning into a very long thread is to list your problems as you work on them in the appropriate forum section. So if you want to work on airing it up first, start a thread on that.

Doug is so right about cribbing or using jack stands. Newells sit very close to the ground. Don't go under unless there is some robust mechanism for keeping that baby off of you. It will ruin your entire day if it sits on you.

You have a fine piece there. Well worth putting the energy back into it to get it on the road. You will learn so much in the restoration process. It doesn't have to be horribly expensive if you are willing to do the work.

We look forward to this journey.

So are you out in the Permian basin?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-30-2015, 04:36 AM)Richard Wrote:  Welcome the forum. You are in the right place for help. Tell us a little about your mechanical and electrical experience. That will help us in giving you help. I am not condescending, but the detail and explanations that we give you will be tailored in terms that you will understand. We all have different areas of expertise, and it helps to know your background.

Tom is right. One thing at a time. I would suggest air system first, since you can't move the coach until that is resolved.

Another suggestion to keep this from turning into a very long thread is to list your problems as you work on them in the appropriate forum section. So if you want to work on airing it up first, start a thread on that.

Doug is so right about cribbing or using jack stands. Newells sit very close to the ground. Don't go under unless there is some robust mechanism for keeping that baby off of you. It will ruin your entire day if it sits on you.

You have a fine piece there. Well worth putting the energy back into it to get it on the road. You will learn so much in the restoration process. It doesn't have to be horribly expensive if you are willing to do the work.

We look forward to this journey.

So are you out in the Permian basin?

Yes sir I am right in the middle of the Permian basin. My mechanical and electrical experience is really only amateur, but I feel that working on this coach is like working on a house. My main concern was the generator. Although now it seems like I have an even greater problem with the air system. Richard, Tom, any other members that have replied, I greatly appreciate the help.

David, you have just disproved conventional Newell wisdom. I have been told all along that 214 was the first Series 2000 but based on the photos, your coach is definitely a 2000 Series and based on the VIN number it is definitely a 1990 model. Congratulations, I have lots of changes to make in my database and history!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com