You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front brake pads.

My front brake rotors needed turned and I need new pads.  Having the rotors turned was no problem, but the new pads are giving us fits.  Its seems the pads are odd ball and hard to find. Frightliner ordered a set yesterday and the box came in damaged and with parts missing.  So they were reordered and came in today, but pads were too short.  So the parts dept. is trying to find somewhere in the USA that has the correct parts. Has anyone ever had this problem finding front brake pad for a 99 Newell?  Does anyone know where one might buy pads to fit.  

They needed the bay my coach was in so they have put the wheels back on and are putting the coach on the lot until parts found.  I told them to turn off the 120 comp. and turn on the 12 volt comp. and run the generator for 2 or 3 hours a day.  I hope this will work.  My coach is in Tyler, TX, about 100 miles N. of where I live. They had called Newell about the parts and the owner of the shop said that was a long story and he did not want to go into it.  And I am really stressed.

I was at Newells about a week ago and told them I was having problem when I braked hard the steering wheel would shimmy.  They pulled the tires and said all looked fine.  I showed them when I turned the hub that there was a little wobble in the rotor.  They said they had no way to turn the rotors. I said well OK.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

(05-01-2015, 11:48 AM)qcj Wrote:  My front brake rotors needed turned and I need new pads.  Having the rotors turned was no problem, but the new pads are giving us fits.  Its seems the pads are odd ball and hard to find. Frightliner ordered a set yesterday and the box came in damaged and with parts missing.  So they were reordered and came in today, but pads were too short.  So the parts dept. is trying to find somewhere in the USA that has the correct parts. Has anyone ever had this problem finding front brake pad for a 99 Newell?  Does anyone know where one might buy pads to fit.  

They needed the bay my coach was in so they have put the wheels back on and are putting the coach on the lot until parts found.  I told them to turn off the 120 comp. and turn on the 12 volt comp. and run the generator for 2 or 3 hours a day.  I hope this will work.  My coach is in Tyler, TX, about 100 miles N. of where I live. They had called Newell about the parts and the owner of the shop said that was a long story and he did not want to go into it.  And I am really stressed.

I was at Newells about a week ago and told them I was having problem when I braked hard the steering wheel would shimmy.  They pulled the tires and said all looked fine.  I showed them when I turned the hub that there was a little wobble in the rotor.  They said they had no way to turn the rotors. I said well OK.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Got mine from provost cheaper than newell. Same pad as on newels. Sent them old pad to make sure the same. I think bendix makes them.

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Thanks Ashley.  I think they called Newell, but got the run a round.  I presume our coaches have the same brand brakes on the front.  Yours is several years newer than mine.
This whole brake thing was only going to take one day if we could have gotten the pads.  The rotors were turned and installed by 2:00.  Waiting on the pads.  The old pads have cracks in them. I think the big problem is Freightliner. He called them to see if they had them in stock and they didn't, but could order them overnight.  Well that been two orders ago.

I have a little trip planned the middle of next week and probably will cancel it because as soon as I get my coach back I need to install a new frig.  The old frig is already out so all I got is a big old hole in the wall.  The new frig is here and waiting to be delivered.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I had my front pads replaced last August at Kaiser Brake and Allignment in Eugene, OR. Perhaps they are the same and they may have them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

"Frightliner ordered a set yesterday and the box came in damaged and with parts missing.  So they were reordered and came in today, but pads were too short." 

Were the first one's the right size? I'll bet the issue turns out to be a rookie parts guy.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Contact Gordon. Bestgenman. He has been all through the brakes and has the contacts. I think the brakes are Knorr Bremse

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Chappell if you don't have a fridge to run off your batteries then I'd make sure everything possible including the inverter is turned off and not worry about running the generator. The house batteries should have enough amps to power the 12 volt compressor with no problems.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I changed my front breaks in February 2015.
Mine are Bendix brand breaks.
I called a Prevost mechanic with a tour bus company and he knew what I needed & gave me the part #.
I got all my parts from Fleet Pride.
Parts costed approximately $200.00 per axle.

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576

Thanks to all for reply.  This guy is trying to get it right. As he told me today on the phone, he wants to get everything correct and I feel he will.  I am, as i said I am 100 miles from him, and it is Friday so Monday will get back to him.
Forest, I have no frig in the coach so that is not using any power.  He is starting my gen. each day and letting it run for a couple of hours, so I think all will be OK.  The compressor is on 12 volt and all else is pretty well off.  He and his wife live at the location so all should be safe.  The gate is locked at night.  There is other motor homes and 18 wheel tractors there also.  The name of the place is Accelerated Diesel.  If anyone should have any need for this type of service he is off I-20 about a mile near Tyler, Tx.   accelerateddieseltyler.com 
His main business is Cat-Cummins-Detroit engine service.
I agree about a rookie parts guy and they said they are only charging me for only one shipping charge.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The brakes (at least on coach 567) are from Knorr Bremse Group of which Bendix is a member.  I found a dealer in Belguim and contacted them.  The link is:   Http://www.belgiumtt.com.
If you deal with them make sure to pay in their currency.  I can't say if they'll be cheaper for you but they were for my supplies.

Also, there are several truck parts suppliers (not dealers) that are Bendix vendors, just hunt around for them in your area.

Hope this little bit helps.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567