You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire monitoring systems

What do people think about the tire pressure monitoring systems? Tim at RV cams is a big believer in them (although he is getting out of that because i think he said there is no margin in them). After listening to you guys talk about the need to closely monitor tire pressure for the best handling it seems like it might be $300 or so well spent. OK dispense with knowledge and opinions. Thanks

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

(09-23-2012, 08:18 PM)Flick Wrote:  What do people think about the tire pressure monitoring systems? Tim at RV cams is a big believer in them (although he is getting out of that because i think he said there is no margin in them). After listening to you guys talk about the need to closely monitor tire pressure for the best handling it seems like it might be $300 or so well spent. OK dispense with knowledge and opinions. Thanks
I have use pressure pro for 8 years on 2 different Newells. They have save me at least 4 times. I have had 2 different Alcoa rims to go bad which crack on the inside letting air out. I have also pick up screws in two tires. All of these problems showed up on the display of low air pressure while I was moving. I never had to check the tire pressure with a gauge at stops or daily when traveling. My gauge only monitor precessor and not heat.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

(09-24-2012, 05:06 AM)ron skeen Wrote:  
(09-23-2012, 08:18 PM)Flick Wrote:  What do people think about the tire pressure monitoring systems? Tim at RV cams is a big believer in them (although he is getting out of that because i think he said there is no margin in them). After listening to you guys talk about the need to closely monitor tire pressure for the best handling it seems like it might be $300 or so well spent. OK dispense with knowledge and opinions. Thanks
I have use pressure pro for 8 years on 2 different Newells. They have save me at least 4 times. I have had 2 different Alcoa rims to go bad which crack on the inside letting air out. I have also pick up screws in two tires. All of these problems showed up on the display of low air pressure while I was moving. I never had to check the tire pressure with a gauge at stops or daily when traveling. My gauge only monitor precessor and not heat.

I saw on another thread people talking about checking tires for heat. Tell me what that is about and what I should be doing?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

I use a system by TST. It monitors pressure and temperature in all 8 tires on the Newell and the four on my toad. On a coach of this length and aluminum skin, the optional repeater is mandatory. But with that installed I never had a problem with communications from all sensors.

On one occasion I made a mistake when installing the auxiliary braking system on the toad. Shorly after we were rolling the TPMS alarm went off and I saw temperatures way too high on the Jeep. I quickly pulled over and found some very hot brakes on the Jeep, but no damage done thanks to my monitoring system. On top of that, I just like being able to check the tire pressures quickly from the comfort of my driver's seat. With TST you have the option of getting a system where you can change the batteries in the sensors yourself or ones that you send back. The DIY batteries last about a year and the send it back, about 7 years. I went with the ones I will have to send back in a few years. Satisifed customer so far. I had to purchase a selection of valve stem extensions to locate all the sensors where they can be easily removed when I need to add air.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Camping world has the TST system along with 6 sensors (which is what I have) for $299. The price Tim has quoted me for the Pressure Pro is $350 for everything I need. Except I don't think the Pressure Pro reads temps it just does pressure. What am I missing guys? The TST would seem a good buy for the money and it reads temps.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

the new pressure pro system i got for my 2002 does temperature and pressure. check the website of the manufacturer. i bought it direct from pressure pro. tim has older ones i believe.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-24-2012, 07:34 PM)encantotom Wrote:  the new pressure pro system i got for my 2002 does temperature and pressure. check the website of the manufacturer. i bought it direct from pressure pro. tim has older ones i believe.

tom

Tom, do you run this thru your VMS?

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

hi matt, i looked at doing it but it was another few hundred bucks so i didnt bother.

it does have that capability as you already know. but you have to buy a receiver from silverleaf.

tom

(09-24-2012, 07:34 PM)encantotom Wrote:  the new pressure pro system i got for my 2002 does temperature and pressure. check the website of the manufacturer. i bought it direct from pressure pro. tim has older ones i believe.

tom

Tom as always thank you. I think i found their website and if I read it correctly the temperature alarm kicks in at 210 degrees. Is that low enough if it is preset to that? I would be worried that this temp would be extremely critical that high and near a blowout situation. The TST let's you program your own warning temp but on a video they recommended leaving it at the 159 degrees it comes set at to have ample warning. What are your thoughts?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

hi todd,

have a look at this reference on truck tire temperatures and measuring methods.

what i wonder about is about how the pressure stem measuring devices like the pressure pro are an accurate measure of temps. the tire stem is metal, which is directly attached to the wheel. so the temperature that it measures is going to be hotter than the tire itself. so i may give pressure pro a call to see if the 210 degree temp that sets the alarm off is higher than the regular temp (150-180) to compensate for the rim making the sensor hot.

make any sense?

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_...ance.asp#2

tom