You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anyone ever have coach towed????

Anyone ever had their coach towed. Waiting on tow truck now on side of road. Haggling with moorons on the phone. 

James and Carol Brooks,
formerly from Tulsa, OK
2008 Newell #1242
2012 Jeep Sahara
Sea Eagle Kayak

james,

i have been towed once, but in my 38'r for that i insisted they bring a flatbed lowboy trailer and they winched it up on it.

but, from what i have heard, the best thing to do is call newell and have them tell you exactly how to have it towed.

what is wrong?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

James,
Don't forget to tell them independent suspension and agree that Newell would tell you exactly what to do , but I'm sure you have already spoken with them by now. Best of luck and stay safe.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

James,

When I asked Newell for some written documentation on how to approach a tow and have a decent chance of success and no damage to my coach all I got was a "Call us if the need arises". Not very comforting and I still have being towed pretty near the top of my nightmare list. Sorry to hear you are facing it. When the dust settles would you please inform the rest of us what you learned and include pictures if possible. Overpass heights are a huge concern for me.
Thanks, Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Just wondered about tow, talked to Newell. Right front blowout on the new 365. Waiting for my son to bring a tire then have it changed on the road by truck service. Thanks. Carol

James and Carol Brooks,
formerly from Tulsa, OK
2008 Newell #1242
2012 Jeep Sahara
Sea Eagle Kayak

This would be a great subject for a future rally! Have some one meet with Newell and get a towing instruction for their 45', ifs coaches. Also towing instructions for their "classic coaches" with the straight front axle. On my Country Coach towing instructions were included in the owners manual. This documentation is Newell's biggest shortcoming.

JMHO....................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

James,

Fellow okie here...

I was wondering if you could share any details of how your front tire blew...if you know? How old/new was tire? Did the tire hit anything? How fast were you going etc? Anything unusual or indications you noticed before it blew?

Thanks!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

If anyone has any links or info regarding what to do when traveling at highway speeds and experiencing a front tire blowout, I'd appreciate it. What happens exactly and what is the proper corrective action?

Thank you!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I haven't heard of a 365 blowout. That seems rare. Glad you got it pulled over safely.

I've had mine towed twice. First time they used a really cool trailer that they winched it up on, lots of discussion about overall height with the coach on the trailer, was able to put it in leveling mode and lower it all the way down and we were okay. Second time was with the front wheels elevated and they were very happy when I told them that I had a solid front axle. I watched as they attached it to the tow rig and couldn't really figure out why the straight axle made a difference, but what do I know?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad