You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Broken drivetrain.

Well he had an airline, but it was too short. I keep a 100ft line with me but his connections were wrong type. So I dug through the stacker supply store and made some adaptations.. Hooked it all up and it worked but I didnt like the idea of the hose banging against the side of coach for 150 miles.. Plus only way he could secure it was around passenger mirror all the way back to the rear door where chasdis batteries were. Nothing in between to secure it with..Newell said ok to just let engine run..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Good idea to save the paint....When Newell says something is ok to do , I believe them.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Have the techs look very carefully at the transmission aluminum housing to ensure the flailing driveshaft did not damage the bottom of the tranny.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. I wil have them look. I was very fortunate. I don't think I was going more than 5 miles per hour when it broke and coasted may be 50 ft.. I had a mechanic look under it while we were waiting for the tow. And everything appeared to be ok. No broken airlines or brake lines . I was some what concerned when it broke of it knocking out the ram on the steer tag.

Marc Newman

Marc,

In pic two - there's really not any sign of grease on the u-joint. I'd sure mention that to who ever is doing your PM's. Plus it does look like the yoke slider is greased <?>.

I'd also want to verify the steering components are getting lub'd.

The idea isn't for them to just squirt some grease in the fittings, but check the parts while doing it.

Marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Larry, On our '92 which has straight single axle, They have used "tall" lift forks and I have used HWH to raise front end both times I have had it towed. That seems to work OK. Also, they have taped soft rags around air hose to keep it from rubbing paint on the long hose run to the engine compartment. Like Marc, I think t might not be a bad idea to plumb in an air hose fitting up near the front for towing purposes. This might be a good suggestion for Newell on their new coaches and an up-grade to older ones "just in case".

i had an air connection in the compartment where the 120v compressor was in front of the drivers side front wheel. it was very handy for filling tires. (in the 90)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Nice to know there are ways to avoid damage Clint ! We have been towed twice in another coach we had and there was damage to the front cap both times.

We ran the air hose over the roof and disconnected the drivetrain

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I heard a rumor that Marc actually had the tow truck driver take him to the dump station and standby while he dumped before backing him into a slot at the factory! That is really being cool under pressure.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Di think everyone is correct that my failure to keep them lubed was probably the contributing factor to the failure. I am having everything lubed ,greased , I can think of... Just ignorance on my part. Hope others can learn from my stupidity.. We are getting ready in the next 6 months to do an interior remodel on a few things.. We found a coach here at Newell I would buy if it was front entry vs mid entry but. Since Newell does not have a used coach factory and a new one is out of my price range, 701 will be ours for awhile, barring a lottery success..

Marc Newman