You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2016 Newell Gurus Rally Planning

I really did enjoy the SD rally.  If we could find a place like that again it would be great.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Kerrville , Texas ... buckhorn is fine in early Summer. We spent the summer there in 2011

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

The geographic center of the contiguous United States is the center of 48 U.S. states. It has been regarded as such by the U.S. National Geodetic Survey (NGS) since the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona to the United States.

Its position as located in a 1918 survey is located at 39°50′N 98°35′W, about 2.6 miles (4.2 km) northwest of the center of Lebanon, Kansas, approximately 12 miles south of the Kansas-Nebraska border.[1]

While any measurement of the exact center of a land mass will always be imprecise due to changing shorelines and other factors, the NGS coordinates are recognized in a historical marker in a small park at the intersection of AA Road and K-191. It is accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Tom: do we have a map, or easily create one that shows were everyone is based. It may be possible to determine a "center of gravity" of membership from those locations. Or maybe we could create a separate map upon which those that really do have an interest in attending in say late September could post their starting locations.

I know this is just my statistician/engineer monkey mind run amok, but if we want a location that is "easy" for everyone this has the potential to help us know where that is.

If you don't know where you are going you can make "progress" by heading in any direction.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Anywhere that is cool and has cabins to rent. Or maybe we could stay in Marcs trailer? Naw, too many spare parts....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

OK it's Marcs house !

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Larry is correct that Kerrville is cool in early summer.  We have been there in the middle of the summer and could sit out.  Usually a breeze and air is dry. The way the weather has been lately it can be hot about anywhere.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Actually guys there is a campground abut 30 mins from me. Byrds outdoor adventure center.  It is primitive camping but it does have 50 amp and water just no sewer at site. You can be right on the mulberry river ,beautiful, but it's a little primitive.. I know we went there already but where we went past year was good and close to Newell. Another place would be lakeside rv resort in Ketchum ok.. Right on grand lake.. Spectacular views and only 40 mins from home base..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Don't forget we have at least one Canadian Guru as well. So that pushes the central point further North to..... Well what do you know.... The Black Hills. The campground was plenty big, onsite cabins, lots of ATV STUFF, hiking and the second nine holes on the golf course should be playable next summer. I am biased because I have kids at home yet and demanding jobs. Our time is limited as well because we have to devote some of our vacation time to family events or we could be kicked out of the family.

Love to have you all out again if we make the cut. Maybe this year I could actually get Newell, SD to declare it Guru day.... So long as we do not interrupt their sheep days... That is not a joke BTW.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Jon and Todd both make great points! I was fortunate to be able to spend time with Keith (Retro) but would really like to be able to meet his wife and five children and they are well above the US/Canada border.

Tom, can you create a page where all interested folks can input their locations? I think that would be awesome.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad