You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Overheating concerns for 8V92 - need advice

Hmm wonder how I managed to have Jon's coach picture on my post? Tom did you notice that? Richard good suggestion. I need to ask but I think my mechanic changed out some fuel lines. I have asked him several times about airbags and he keeps telling me they are not cracked and he thinks they look good. Honestly it's one of my greatest fears blowing an airbag.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The transmission is on its way. Just got a note from the company in Boise that Jon found to separate it that the shipper just drove away with it. I guess the separation was not easy. In spite of cutting the crank shaft it was still tough to get the engine to turn but they eventually prevailed and I think the price was reasonable and the best Jon and I had been quoted.

I spoke to the garage in Belgrade, Montana. Mitchell is the head guy and he said that he did not want me to buy a ticket to fly out until they had it in and could drive it enough to make sure that I will not have any issues getting home. Can't argue with that logic so I would imagine I will be out there then the end of this month sometime.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

That's good news and as badly as you wanted one last summer trip, any issues with the new install would have put a big damper on the fun factor

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Transmission arrived yesterday. The guys already took out the old one today and are busy installing the new one. So they said they would call me tomorrow if all goes well to say it's done. I asked if there was any indication of me having done anything wrong and described down shifting on hills to keep the RPMS up so the engine would not overheat and he said he did not hear anything in what I told him. He said it probably had a couple of bad clutch plates that got it overheated and burned it up.

He said they are changing the filter on the new tranny and a few other things as well as flushing the cooler and replacing a couple lines to make sure everything is ok.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd, great to hear that the new transmission is going in. I agree that down shifting on hills to keep the RPMs up should NOT cause transmission failure. As long as the engine stays below redline on the downshift, that is way you should climb hills with the non-electronic transmissions.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(08-21-2015, 11:24 AM)Flick Wrote:  Transmission arrived yesterday. The guys already took out the old one today and are busy installing the new one. So they said they would call me tomorrow if all goes well to say it's done.

No indication by them that there were any differences in the 2 HT740Ds that would cause installation issues? I certainly hope that there aren't, especially will all the other problems that you've encountered along the way. My fingers are crossed that everything is perfect when you get your coach back.......finally.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Todd, great news buddy! Hope all goes smoothly from this point on!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

(08-21-2015, 12:47 PM)MrE Wrote:  
(08-21-2015, 11:24 AM)Flick Wrote:  Transmission arrived yesterday. The guys already took out the old one today and are busy installing the new one. So they said they would call me tomorrow if all goes well to say it's done.

No indication by them that there were any differences in the 2 HT740Ds that would cause installation issues? I certainly hope that there aren't, especially will all the other problems that you've encountered along the way. My fingers are crossed that everything is perfect when you get your coach back.......finally.

Nothing they were concerned about. He mentioned they put in new seals, the connection to the drive shaft was different but was already swapped and something around the torque converter they looked at and decided to replace because they did not want whatever it was to fail later. Sorry I will get better details from him when he calls again. He called while I was driving across the state to watch my son play soccer. Been up for like 18 hours so my brain is on slow shut down mode. 

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Sounds like you stumbled upon a good mechanic, they're doing a thorough job and making sure that you don't have further issues. Be sure to update us after you've picked it up and have some miles on her.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Picking it up Tuesday morning. Called the shop this morning and they said it would be done Monday. I asked if I could make travel plans and they said yes. So flying to Bozeman Monday evening and picking it up Tuesday morning. I will drive to the Black Hills that day spend the night with my folks. Then the next day drive to the Missouri River at Chamberlain where I was supposed to be at a conference until Friday. Once that conference is over then I will drive down to the Lewis & Clarke Resevior (see what I did there Clarke) and meet my family for a weekend camping we had planned several months ago.

I will update Tuesaday again.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia