You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

engine not cranking

Guys, I need a little help here.  Coach all loaded and ready to go and tried to crank the engine and all I get is a click.  The batteries all read good.  I put a volt meter on the engine batteries and they read 12.7 volts.  When I turn the ignition key on without trying to crank the engine and  the volts on my silver leaf reads 14 volts and then drops to 12.7 and on down to 11.3 volts. So what do I need to start looking for?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Check any of the battery connection &/or cable connections including the grounds. If your start solenoid is assessable jump it to verify it's not the problem.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

I don't know what is going on, but I went back to storage and tried the remote start in the engine compartment and it cranked. I then tried it with the key and  it cranked as always. I'm leaving and will be at Rudy's tonight and will check back to see if anyone has a thought as to why this happened.  With my luck there will probably be a next time.

Marc, I did.  This was the first thing I did and still did not work. It is working now and will check back when I get to Rudy's.  Thanks

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Ours did this very, very thing. Had to start 2-3 times from aux as no voltage from front key to rear panel. I checked w/Newell about another solenoid between front panel & rear panel and they said there was none. Next time I started, tried from front, fired right and has ever since....

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Suggest you remove and clean the battery contacts on the chassis batteries. Sometimes corrosion will occur and just loosening the bolts and rotating the connectors back and forth several times will remove enough corrosion to restore a good connection.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Had same thing happen.. Started from rear no problem since.. Wonder if it's a flat spot in the starter

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I like what Michael said. I would start by removing and cleaning the Battery Terminals, I carry a round wire brush that is made just for this. I like to use the Battery Terminal Gel when reinstalling the Terminals because it keeps down the corrosion, white powdery junk.
While you are at it you might check the Ground Connection to the Coach at the same time just to ensure there is a good connection.
***When removing the Battery Terminals it is best to remove/disconnect the Ground Terminal first...just in case you don't want a ice colorful spark!

Keep in mind that the current must travel 40' plus and back the same distance.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Thanks to all.  I will check everything that was said.  Seems to be working OK now but who knows how long.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

What worries me is what would cause a fully charged battery to drop from fully charged to 11.3 volts in 5 seconds when you turn the key on?  Even did it when I turned on merge.  Last night after it been setting for several hours I turned the key on and it went to 12.4, so I guess that is normal. 

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

To me it adds up (even the indicated low voltage) to a compromised battery wire or cable...Probably a ground.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.