You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lock punched a hole in front slide.

Had a heavy rain here in Newport Oregon the other night and rain water poured into the dining table window.  When the sun came out the next day, I discovered a 3/4" hole punched into the aluminum roof an inch or so inside of the insert where the lock probe belongs.  I can also see where the lock probe has been dragged across the insert.  In a few days I will bring in the slide a few inches to see if I can determine what is going wrong.  Has anyone else experienced this and what was the cause and fix?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Yes. I have a matching hole in my front slide. I will fill you I. When not on my phone

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

chester,

have the same hole on my front slideout to. it was caused when binging in the slide at an angle...this
caused the lower part of the slide to came in first & stopped.....(the top part of the slide was still out an inch or so) this brought the hyd oil pressure up & inturn
caused the locking pins to come down & punched  a hole in the roof instead of going into the receptacle for the pin.  
what caused it was the window/slide awning strap moving in the wind & being caught in the rolling up awning on the side of the coach.
just another deal with body work to get.  

Mark

p.s. by the way if u have a rattling noise in the front of the slide out (sounds like a lose 2 x 4 hitting the alum wall...... it may be this same pin moving around in the receptacle as u drive down the road. fix it by dropping a 1" x 1" dia very thick rubber hose in the recept.

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

Mark, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I always bring my slide in when in travel mode, as instructed. When in travel mode, it may be at an angle if the parking area is lower on the left side of he coach. I do not have any awning straps to get caught so I am looking for an explanation. If the bottom did come in first and caused the locking pin to punch the hole, what can I do differently to stop this for happening again. I am thinking about installing a 1/8" piece of steel to stop the pin from making a hole again in the soft aluminum. Good idea about the rubber hose.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

hi all,

as i said, i have one of those holes on each side of my front slide.

on mine, i dont think it could be caused by being crooked.

the sensors that cause the pins to come down are the nickel sized rare earth magnets glued on the top of the slide adjacent to the pin hole. when they are directly under the sensor that is attached on mine next to the hydraulic pin then the pin goes down. there is one on each side. mine the magnet had moved. they are just superglued down.

i know some have magnets and some have some other way of detecting it and maybe on those being crooked could do it.

newell told me alot of slides have holes on the top. i filled mine with white sika and it turned out fine. newell also puts aluminum tape or something like that on top of the sealant.

i did replace the rubber bushings in my slide that the pins go in and it did stop the noise. i used the official hwh ones.

btw, some of the newer ones have a plastic bushing and does not need rubber bushings. (ask larry)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Although I have the $100 rubber ones anyway. Ha at me

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Today I looked for magnets and found none. With four locking pins, there is not a single magnet and only one hole into the aluminum. If I do not have magnets to actuate the locking pins, then what does actuate them?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

(10-10-2015, 03:08 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Today I looked for magnets and found none.  With four locking pins, there is not a single magnet and only one hole into the aluminum.  If I do not have magnets to actuate the locking pins, then what does actuate them?

I still believe it's different pressure stages of hydraulic pressure.

mark

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

Richard,
Maybe you can clarify the 680 HWH system's process for me.  I thought the motor runs at one speed and hydraulic pressure was fairly constant.  That the movements and functions were controlled by the control box sending electrical signals to the solenoids that open and allow the function to complete.  Once complete the control box then closes that solenoid and opens the next solenoid to start the next function and so on until the opening or closing of the slide is complete.

On the 680 system there is no sensor for the control box to know where the top of the slide is.  It strictly operates off the bottom of the slide.  Therefore if the top of the slide is not closed flush then when the pin deploys it misses the hole.  So if the pin is missing the hole the problem is most likely an adjustment problem of the slide itself.

Tom has the 2000 series HWH system that added the magnets on the top of the slide to try to recognize where the top of the slide is located. Once Tom properly located where the magnets should be mounted I believe his locking pins now deploy properly.

Please help me correct my understanding and maybe help others................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

As you know from my slide experiences ( our coaches 530 and 531 ) sense the position at the bottom center of the slide with a limit switch visible when velcro held portions of the bay ceiling are removed on the driver's side. When this LS is made the sequence advances.

If the top of the slide is in too far or out too far, doesn't matter, if you continue holding the switch down the locking pins are deployed.

I think I am correct is saying the same limit switch, with just a different tab to actuate it is used to sense fully out position as well. It is just that at that point the top of the slide is able to push against the inside of the coach well and the locking pins usually hit their correct spot in that case.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004