You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dometic AC's

I think the compressor for my rear AC has given up the ghost.   Anyone know anybody good in Phx area that can fix a Dometic?

Clint,

What makes you say that? Have you measured the amperage the compressor is pulling? if you have and it's the LRA (locked rotor amps) then your diagnosis is spot on.

If it is having a hard time starting it could be the start capacitor, or the relay in the board. Those relays to the compressors are known troublemakers.

If it's just not cooling then gauge readings are in order.

Not meaning to be a wiseguy, just trying to help.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It growls a bit when compressor kicks on. Then gets louder, progressing to loud hum/buzz. At that point breaker trips. I thought maybe I could skate the rest of the year before major repair. It was running much better since temps here in Gila Bend have finally dropped to low 3 digits. Had made last few days with few if any breaker trips.

I would replace the start cap because they are cheap and easily obtained. If that doesn't help, then it's not a loss, since you will want a new start cap if you have to replace the compressor.

I'll call tomorrow. We are in a part of Montana that does not have cell coverage. I have internet through the RV park wifi.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard you could try the Magicjack app for your phone if the internet is good enough. I used that last month in the mountains of Colorado. Worked pretty good.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

No compressor replacement with these units. They are a sealed system and the 13,500 cool only unit (no heat pump) is about $900+ at Camping World and easy to install with a HiLo or strong guy with a ladder yourself or expect to pay around $400 for install with drip cup lines

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Larry

Clint has basement units made by dometic. In my unasked for opinion, the dometic basement concept is superior to the SCS concept. The dometic basement is a split unit with the condenser outside and the evap I side They are quiet inside, blow ice cold air when operating correctly and don't take up the space of the SCS units

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

We ended up putting 2 Atwood units on top of our coach and they have performed nicely! The cool part is you do not have to wire any 12-volt in; they use a remote control (no wall thermostat!) so hookup is simple. Also I have mine controlled with my Harmony Remote so I don't have to get up to set them! They are quieter than the old Dometics by far.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40