You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacing Thermostat - Internet capbable

I would like to replace the PSG thermostat with one like a NEST that can be read/changed from the internet and that is a 'learning' stat.  Sometimes we forget to turn on the A/Cs when it is cool at night and our dog suffers when we are gone for a while.  I want something that will alert me when the temps go about 80 or below 60 (or similar).  Any options for us geeks? 

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Did you ever figure this out?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

No, but I was going to buy a NEST and see if it will work - thanks for the reminder!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I did a fair amount of research and ended up getting the Honeywell Wi-Fi smart thermostat from Amazon. We've had it installed in our house now for several months and I'm quite happy with it.  $167 Amazon Prime, no tax and no shipping. RTH9580WF Wi-Fi Smart Touchscreen Thermostat

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I use the same Honeywell unit that Jon does and have had excellent results.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have a Honeywell wifi in my house but went with the key type not touchpad.
Really nice to adjust the temp while we're traveling just before we get home.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Are the coach units the same as home units from a thermostat perspective? Newell replaced one of my thermostats but in the process I lost the ability to have high AND low compressor control. My ideal unit would be able to:
1) control from internet
2) Learn your routine
3) Be able to control Stage 1 and Stage 2 compressors
4) Be able to handle multiple "zones" from one control pad*

* Zones: At home I have three separate AC / Heat units. One thermostat for each. When I leave for a trip, I have set each of the thermostats into economy mode. Do they make one with one master control and slave units to control multiple AC/Heat units. This would be applicable in the coach cause I have two zones (front and back) AND I have a single roof air.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

i have not looked at the coach thermostats, but they do seem to be odd ones for sure.  mine are difficult to use and the front one is mounted where it is difficult to even see.  

as far as the NEST goes, i have 3 of them at my house.  and a nest protect.  all 4 are on one screen to get to but you do control them individually.  

we dont use the learning mode of the nest.  since we are on peak time billing for electricity, our plan looks at the HIGHEST peak for any time during the month and then our entire month is billed at that peak demand charge rate.  so we use the nest (it has a ton of on and off times) to make it so no two units are on at the same time, thus reducing the peak demand charge.  

i also have a YORK wifi smart thermostat for my mancave in the shop because it is the only one my units will run variable speed on and it is a terrible system and more expensive as well.  it works, but is very primitivie and flakey app for my phone.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Will the Honeywell units work in our coach with two basement airs?
What does Newell use now and would it work on my coach?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

I forgot you had the two stage A/C units. I am not sure the Honeywell would work with that system. I just have single stage units.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com