You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Toe-in Change & Tire Wear

I posted back in 2013 that my coach tended to wander.  New 365s were installed 2 1/2 years ago and I did not like the way my coach handled.  My owner's manual states that toe-in should be 1/16" and I had Newell change it to 3/16" which resulted in the coach hugging the road and much more fun to drive.  Of course I am interested in tire wear due to the increased toe-in.  I checked today and after 30,000 miles, each front tire shows wear in the center of 1/8" and 3/16" to 1/4" at the edges.  The edges show a little more wear because I only carry 110 lbs. of air instead of 120.  Frankly, I am satisfied that the increased toe-in did not result in excessive tire wear, yet the coach drives much better.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The wear due to toe-in will be the difference in wear between the inside and outer edge of the tire. Wear due to tire pressure being high or low will be the difference between wear in the center of the tread and wear at the outer edges. Too high pressure for the weight carried will preferentially wear the center, too low pressure will wear the edges.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks Chester and Alie/Jon (not sure who is talking here)! I have noticed that I have to set the Howard Power Steering up to above 140 for the coach not to wander too much but still cannot just let go the wheel and it track straight. The 365s have been running great and I have them down to 105lbs of pressure after having the coach weighed but can go down to 100lbs if I like but would rather err on the side of over-inflated... We are a long way from Newell and will be heading in the opposite way soon. Where else would you recommend taking the coach to get the front end checked out?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

Big Truck Alignment, Huntington, Tx, on Hwy 69, 9 miles south of Lufkin. Excellent alignment on straight axle front ends (they do not align independent front ends,IFS, on newer coaches). They also can true the steer tires making them perfectly round.

Haden Haskins taught Wayne at Foretravel how to align motorhomes. Wayne remembered most of what he was taught. But Foretravel folks that are in the know go there. They are worth the drive.

Haskins brothers, 936.465.0701

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Newell uses an alignment system that is in degrees, not inches. Richard knows how to make the math conversion. I paid extra to Newell to get them to manually set toe-in to 3/16" because they were unable to make the conversion from degrees to inches.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Wow how time flies! Now I am showing wear on the passenger side front 365 on the outer edge of the tire. Is this a tie-in issue? I need to start looking at getting replacements I guess :-( anyone have a good line on 365’s?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

If anyone can get 365s, Wendy Ward at National Tire Concierge Service can.....highly recommend their service.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Another Newell friend has a tire dealler friend. Dave and Wendy saved him $2000 on 4 365s over his friend's price. Dave 321/607-8465. Tell him Rudy said "Hi"

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I also find myself steering more than what would seem necessary. At this point, it's straigh down the road with no wind, no road crown and 63 mph! My linkage is tight and very responsive. With any variation, I'm constantly, but slightly, back and forth on the steer. This leads me to believe a toe-in check to the 3/16" may very well be the right correction.

That leads me to my question. Should I remove my inoperative Howard Power Steering cylinder at the same time? OR, is there a seal kit still available given I find me a good cylinder shop in the middle of NW Iowa farm country for fix? Any suggestions?

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

(06-07-2023, 03:01 PM)Tony Van Helden Wrote:  I also find myself steering more than what would seem necessary.  At this point, it's straigh down the road with no wind, no road crown and 63 mph!  My linkage is tight and very responsive.  With any variation, I'm constantly, but slightly, back and forth on the steer.  This leads me to believe a toe-in check to the 3/16" may very well be the right correction.

That leads me to my question.  Should I remove my inoperative Howard Power Steering cylinder at the same time?  OR, is there a seal kit still available given I find me a good cylinder shop in the middle of NW Iowa farm country for fix?  Any suggestions?

Tony,

Your coach is a similar vintage to 653.   Have you seen this thread?  Rag joints

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama