You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Finding air leaks

The method to my madness for making a schematic of the 12V air system was to break the system into circuits to make it easier and a more organized process for finding air leaks.  I'm using a leak down tester that has been discussed on the forum. 

So far I have determined that I have a very small air leak within the flush valve of the 1/2 bath toilet.  I will service that valve.

My pocket door is what I call air tight.  My standard for "air tight" is no leakage in an hour.

I have found a substantial air leak at the air cylinder of the right side dump valve.  The 90 degree push in fitting is leaking--it is the fitting itself, not where it screws into the cylinder or where the air line pushes in.  I'd like to change these plastic fittings to metal.  Dupree only has the plastic fittings and didn't know what the thread is.

Two questions:  Does any one know what the thread is that screws into the cylinder?  Does any one have a source for metal fittings?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Unless it's metric I would guess it's 1/8" NPT

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-01-2016, 11:24 AM)rheavn Wrote:  The method to my madness for making a schematic of the 12V air system was to break the system into circuits to make it easier and a more organized process for finding air leaks.  I'm using a leak down tester that has been discussed on the forum. 

So far I have determined that I have a very small air leak within the flush valve of the 1/2 bath toilet.  I will service that valve.

My pocket door is what I call air tight.  My standard for "air tight" is no leakage in an hour.

I have found a substantial air leak at the air cylinder of the right side dump valve.  The 90 degree push in fitting is leaking--it is the fitting itself, not where it screws into the cylinder or where the air line pushes in.  I'd like to change these plastic fittings to metal.  Dupree only has the plastic fittings and didn't know what the thread is.

Two questions:  Does any one know what the thread is that screws into the cylinder?  Does any one have a source for metal fittings?

IF THE PIPE SIZE IS 1/8" NPT, THAN THE ITEM # 11K674 IS THE PART U NEED FROM GRAINGER.COM
OR YOUR LOCAL GRAINGER STORE.

THEY ALSO HAVE THE SAME PART IN 1/4" NPT.

MARK

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

Steve, you might call Newell.  They might know or even stock them. When I rebuilt my cylinders one of the fittings was metal.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Funny how the fittings on the left side dump valves are metal.  

I took off the bad fitting and the thread is a M5-0.8.  Went to my bag of tricks and I just happened to have two with that thread.  Installed two straight fittings, new air lines and all leaks in the right dump valve are gone.  One more circuit leak free.  More testing tomorrow.

I replaced the plastic 90 degree fittings with straight metal ones.  I had to make the air lines longer.  I don't like the push in fittings, but I haven't found these in a compression fitting.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, you are something else!  Hope you have had your cabbage and black eyed peas. Happy New Year to all.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Correction:

I didn't remember buying any metric threaded fittings.  I thought the fittings I had were a 10/32 UNF thread.  I tried a 10/32 nut on one and it didn't want to thread on.  I tried the Metric M5-0.8 thread & it screwed right in & tightened up.  I checked my receipt from Mettle Air & it showed I purchased the fittings with a 10/32 UNF thread.  I tried another nut & it tightened right up.  The metric and the 10/32 thread must be very close as I can not tell the difference.  The 10/32 thread with the 1/4" air line is a more common fitting.

This is the exact fitting I used that I got from Mettle Air.  I picked this fitting because it has a sealing o ring.  Most have a nylon washer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S511...PDKIKX0DER  

"you are something else!"

Chappell, That's the nicest thing any one has said to me this year.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Glad it worked out for you. But think of the poor guy on the side of the road cussin' cause he can't get that darn fitting to screw in....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Must be dense today. Could you explain....................................

"But think of the poor guy on the side of the road cussin' cause he can't get that darn fitting to screw in.... "

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Well if you got the metric fitting you didn't order maybe the other guy got the NPT fitting he didn't order. That's usually how my luck goes. I just ordered an air stapler and staples from HF and got a "blast gun with gravity feed", to HFs credit they said to keep it and are sending the staples.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337