You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Understanding your air system

I am not going to guess where your leak may be.

However, I do want to make you aware of something. When the HWH system is left in Auto Level, it will bypass the pressure switch on the aux compressor anytime the leveling system tries to relevel the coach. I don't like this feature and disabled it after it blew out an airbag trying to force the coach to level on a slope. The Thomas aux compressors are capable of delivering 150 psi and the air bags are not rated for 150.

This may be why your compressor went off when you turned of the leveling system.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The easiest way to see a six pack valve manifold is to open the passenger side engine bay door. Look right and high. The six solenoid valves mounted to an aluminum plate is what you are looking for. The air lines enter and exit the back mostly.

You will have one just like that under the front cap on the drivers side.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Front six pack is under the front valance behind the left headlight.

Rear six pack is in the right side engine compartment mounted up high toward the front wall.

I have found that when you know people they are quicker to help.  Do you have a name???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I was on the road today and noticed air pressure dropping. I was able to get off road and investigate. The feed line to the step cover solenoid was leaking badly. This leak made it so that when at idle, the compressor could not gain and pressure went to 70 pounds.

Should this line be supplied by service brake circuit? Seems wrong to common logic. Input appreciated. Thanks Pete

1988 40 ft 8V92, 4 spd, single screw.

I wouldn't think that any of the house air circuits would be fed off the service brake circuit. I would think any of those should be feed directly off a circuit from the aux (wet) tank.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thats what I thought. The pressure got so low that the air throttle wouldn't allow me to rev engine so I could make air. I ran 120 v compressor to gain throttle to get enough air to get to a safe place.

The air throttle also likely works off the Supply (wet/AUX) tank pressure. Brakes should be a separate isolated system due to federal vehicle safety requirements.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

[attachment=4117]We found our leak.  It is an air solenoid valve that is associated with the six-pack valves.  I have included a picture of it.  Would this valve be considered the Height Control Valve?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

That is solenoid valve. The Height Control Valves (total of 3) are located over the drive axle on each side just inside of the tires and in the center of the coach over the front axle. Below is a ride height control valve from Chester's 2001.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3756]

Here is a photo of an early height control valve (1991)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1135]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

What does the solenoid valve that we pictured do?

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.