You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Help -- Slides

Just got to Brownsville. Drove 300 miles this morning. Slides were out yesterday.  Started to put the slides out...bladders wouldn't release, took them about 5 minutes to release and now the lights won't go solid indicating it's safe to extend the slides.  Any ideas?

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

I would first call Newell on support line.

@"Yachts" - Marc Newman had this same issue about two weeks ago. (He has Valid slides not HWH like yours). But I think there may be commonalities affecting the slide seals.

I don't know the exact details, but from what he described there is a venturi pump plus a relay that is used to pull a negative pressure on the seals to help them collapse. If it is affecting all slides, then this could be the answer. You might look in the bay behind the passenger rear wheel and see if there is anything leaking there. (while someone works the slide).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(01-12-2016, 10:39 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  I would first call Newell on support line.

@"Yachts" -  Marc Newman had this same issue about two weeks ago.  (He has Valid slides not HWH like yours).  But I think there may be commonalities affecting the slide seals.  

I don't know the exact details, but from what he described there is a venturi pump plus a relay that is used to pull a negative pressure on the seals to help them collapse.  If it is affecting all slides, then this could be the answer.  You might look in the bay behind the passenger rear wheel and see if there is anything leaking there.  (while someone works the slide).

Thanks for your response.  Calling Newell....Don't think I can work the slides since the lights won't go solid.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck

Well...solved the problem...seems like the learning curve is really too long! Our lot at River Bend slopes toward the rear, so I brought the rear end up and the front end down...we were level from side to side, but then I noticed a light on the leveling panel that said "excessive slope". Had never seen that light before. Brought the rear end down a bit and the slides went out! Whew! Learn...learn...learn.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck

Maybe someone can confirm but I think Newell suggests to extend and retract the slides while in travel mode. But if that's what you did and got the excessive slope light then I guess the system was doing its job and by adjusting your level position it worked?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes, @"folivier" Good Point! I can confirm that Newell says ALWAYS extend the slide before you level the coach. While this is not quite as important with Valid slides, it is still the recommended process. I always extend slides with coach in travel mode with engine running.

I questioned the "extend in travel mode advice" when I first got my coach. My thought process is that by leveling the coach you are making it square so the slides won't bind. This is wrong.

The techs at Newell say that it actually torques the frame when you level, so you should get the slides out before you level. Same on bringing in the slides. Don't just start bringing the slides in from a "leveled" condition. Crank the engine, put in travel mode then wait a few minutes before you start to bring slides in.

Also, depending on the vintage of your coach. The emergency brake may "grab" the axle in such a way that the coach cannot return properly to travel configuration. I put my foot on brake and release parking brake a couple of times then reapply the parking brake while I go about bringing the slides in.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

My way of doing things might be wrong, but I never put my coach in  the level mode. If I need to make it level I used manual mode.  It bring my steps too low to put in the level mode.  When I pull into a park and the space is fairly level I just leave the coach in the travel mode.  It works for me 90% of the time.  I have been in parks for several weeks and it stays in the travel mode most of this time.  If it doesn't I put it back into the travel mode by turn on the key and let the 120 volt compressor do it"s job. I do not let my air bags down all the way.  If this is not the thing to do please let me know.   I have not had any problem in going on 3 years.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

For what it is worth even with valid slides it is recommend that the coach it is in travel mode for the slides. When you go to level mode it will add stress to the frame as the air bags adjust. There is a post that tells this very well. Sorry cant remember when but I think Richard said it perfectly.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Always travel mode to retract and extend. Failure to do so may result in "rolling a seal"..

Hey Doug you still in Florida?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Chappell, I suspect you have just been lucky. I always move slides only when in travel mode regardless of the slope. After that is done, I will sometime automaticall level, manually lever or leave in travel mode.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica