You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaking waste tank valve on Coach #800

About three weeks ago, I had just dumped the waste tank.  When I closed the valve, the "open" indicator stayed lit.  I talked to a tech at the factory who said there is a way that could happen.  The valve seemed to continue to open and close properly even with the "open" indicator lit all the time.  We lived with this condition for the past three weeks.

A couple of days ago, I dumped the tank, closed the valve, just like normal.  That evening we both took showers before going to bed.  The waste tank level was at least at 25% to 30%.  The next morning, the tank level read ZERO.   Upon investigation, when the valve is closed, I can still see a slight flow in the clear plastic piece that is part of the valve assembly that fits into the sewer drain.  In other words, THE VALVE IS LEAKING EVEN WHEN IT SUPPOSEDLY HAS BEEN CLOSED.  We've tried filling the tank to 75% multiple times, then draining.  Once I closed and then opened the valve again 3 OR 4 TIMES during the dumping process.  If there is something stuck in the valve that is keeping it from closing all the way, I've tried everything I can think of to break it loose.  It now makes me wonder if the "open" indicator is actually correct.

I don't even know where the dump valve is located on my coach but plan to call one of the service techs at Newell tomorrow to see what they say.  We actually live in Oklahoma 210 miles from the factory, however, we are in Las Vegas and still not planning to return for a few weeks.  Would like to find a way to resolve this.

Any similar experiences or ideas from the Guru's?

Dick Yuhnke
2007 Newell Coach #800

Dick,
My info is only good if in 2007 Newell was still using the Dupree dumping valves.  They use a round rubber seal that swells and becomes deformed over time and fails to seal.        I replaced all three on my coach.  Your main valve is the one that is closest to the outlet.  Don't know if you plan to do the job yourself or have it done.  Either way it it is a relatively easy job once you have the needed part(s).  First time you can change out the seal assembly in an hour or two.

Short term fix:  May or may not work.  Drain the tank!  Remove sewer hose.  Try applying some silicone grease to the seal when it is open.  Cycle cylinder up & down a few times.

The fix:  Drain the tank!  Remove the two air lines & mark them for replacement.  Remove two screws on top surface of valve.  One of the screws is visible in picture.      Pull entire air cylinder straight up.  On the bottom is the gate & seal.  The seals are a bugger to install so I would advise just screwing on a new gate & valve assembly.      Reverse for installation.  I used a little silicone sealer on top edge to insure no leaking.  

I replace the seals 6 years ago & have had no problem since.

Entire assembly:  http://www.dupreeproducts.com/ProductDet...=2100P-070

Housing:  This part is glued in and is NOT removed.  http://www.dupreeproducts.com/ProductDet...=01000-027

Gate & seal assembly:  This part will solve your problem.  http://www.dupreeproducts.com/ProductDet...=1100P-025

Let us know how it goes.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I agree the gate may have gotten deformed. Had same thing happen on my curbside dump last week. I might also suggest leaning coach to opposite side you are changing. Makes it a bit less messy

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I don't know when the switch was made from Dupree, but my coach #800 and I'm pretty sure ALL subsequent coaches since then use Drain Master valves (p/n 5197 at Drainmaster.com).   Turns out that my prior coach (2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder) had the same valve.  I replaced both (black and gray) on the Beaver and had NO problem whatsoever.  You won't believe how easy it is to install one of the drain master valves.

If you even think you need one of these, I would first call drain master.  Their price is $88 versus $128 through Newell.  Problem is; right now there is a 4 week back order at Drain Master.  Newell, luckily for me, had one in stock which I went ahead and ordered.

The installation on my coach will be more difficult than on the Beaver as there are things in the way that I may have to remove.  But the valve replacement is simple and will correct both the leak problem and the indicator problem.

Dick, here is an photo of my 99 when I rebuilt my three valves.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot