You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide floor gets stuck

Gang,

For the second time since I have had the coach, the floor on my biggest slide has started sticking. The floor starts up, but then binds and stops coming up. I noticed that it made a large "pop" noise the last time that I brought slide in (floor was going down). So now...the slide works fine, but the slide floor never gets level with the rest of the floor.

When it happened last time, Newell replaced one of the slide bearings.

How does one think about the slide floor? Anything I should look for? Or just head north with my checkbook in hand?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,

It looks like the floor needs a simple adjustment. If it is coming up and going down on command it may just need to be tweaked up some so that it locks in place!

My coach is a 1999. My front slide has the flush floor which moves up and down like yours. I have always been amazed at how cool that it is to have a flat floor whether the slide is in or out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

it is not obvious to me how to even get at any of the slide adjustments etc on the flat floor slides.

what would be adjusted and where at?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I had the same problem a few months back and called Newell. They said that sometime the bolts work loose and have to be tightened. The bolts are located under the carpet about every 2 feet. However, I discovered that our problem was caused by a laptop bag we had under the dining table that got wedged in the floor. Problem easily solved.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Several things can keep the floor from raising or lowering like bearings, cylinders, rollers etc. Once binding occurs, and or it continues it affects built in tolerances that will need adjustments to get the tolerances back into specs or replace a part that has failed. The room not going out far enough could be it, and it has nothing to do with the floor. I bet you won’t know until an inspection of the room or floor mechanism is complete.

I still have problems with our slides , they dont slide in all the way ( starts for say 3-4" & stops ) i found out the first 4" of movements is whatever is left in the pump, some few psi left and floor start up and later depends on full hydraulic or electric operation ( in our case 2001 model we have hydraulic pumps on two slides ) so we had some outorized guys worked on the isue and they spray some cleaner on our relays , they said they were corroded its was $300 sprya and clean job haha!! we than went on the road to next destination, bang! same problem!

Using Generator, engine on hi idle was the ticket to get thsoe out , but randomly they dont work, we go trough on & offf phase where we tyrn the kay Off and start the wole cycle again!

I have played around the hydraulic pumps area wires , when my wife would turn the kay on and infate the seals, I would start touching all teh wires and somhow i got the right wire where slide and pump started to work! but i could not trace what wire was the loose conection!

Someone mentioned at Newell to try the slide out selenoids ( four for two slides i think? ) thsi might be our next option!
In our case I dont think we have any aligement or rail ajustement problem , just some sort of electric isue !

Again, I could be wrong but so far that is what I traced and we still in same case , random slide in , slide out ! still works but scary times !!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb