You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Check engine light - 87 with ddec

Hi Gurus, I have had a occasional flicker of the yellow check engine light on our last 3 runs. Our Newell is powered with the 8V92 TA DDEC. I'll describe the circumstances.

1st time was after a 300 mile drive ending with a long climb of about 4000 feet. No flickering of the light till we had levelled out for a number of miles and started to slow down for a nights stop over, the temperature had dropped quite a bit. I check fluids and found all in good order. Oil pressure and temp gauges all good.

2nd time - drove 200 miles in cold slushy weather with no check engine light. Stopped for fuel towards the end of the day, it was cold and snowy. When we got under way again the light flicered occasionally till we stopped for the night. Oil pressure and temp gauges all good.

3rd time - drove the next day from Edson to Edmonton Alberta in cold snowy, slushy weather and the light flickered occasionally. Stopped in Edmonton for cheap fuel and a hours vist and drove on to Calgary with a bit warmer and dryer weather - no check engine light appeared.

At all times the engine ran beautifully cruising around 60 - 65 mph, temp between 160 - 170 except on long climb when it might get to 180. Oil level up to the mark, coolant just at the bottom of the sight glass. I use Howes fuel conditioner all the time. I

I'm wondering if it might be running just cool enough in the winter weather to set of the check engine light. I have touched base with a diesel mechanic friend who will come by and have a look one of these days. He suspects a poor connection.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

#146 - 87 40' Tag 8V92TA DDEC
towing Toyota RAV4

Do you have a VMSpc or DD Prodriver that would allow you to read the stored codes? Otherwise you are purely guessing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

hi bill,

richard is right. need to have a code reader to see what is really being flagged. i have a ddec 1/2 stand alone code reader i could mail you but not sure if i could cheaply get it sent to canada.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks guys, of course your right. I'm scouting around for a code reader here but may end up having to try to impose on you Tom. I'll keep you posted. It'll be a few days anyway since we're in an early deep freeze here and can't do much of anything till it warms up a bit. Darn, I dislike winter.

#146 - 87 40' Tag 8V92TA DDEC
towing Toyota RAV4