You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Repairing Rusty Bay Compartment - Need Advice

Hello, All,
I suppose those who are planning to attend the 2016 Newell Gurus Rally are getting ready for the trip.  I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable trip. I wish I could attend too.

I'm in need of some advice on how to repair the seemingly ugly rusty bay (just behind the tag wheel on the PS).  I have read in some posts on another site to use POR 15 Chassis, among other products. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions as to what to use and how to go about repainting the bay?
I know the foreground is an SMC Pressure booster quick air connect.  Do you know what is in the back ground?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Regards to all.

Sayed

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

Sayed,

That looks like your suspension "six pack" that controls the inflation / deflation of the airbags.

As far as the rust. I have two uneducated thoughts.

1) Where is the water coming from? I had similar issues on my electric reel bay and finally fixed water intrusion by putting eternabond tape on the seam on roof between the metal roof and the fiberglass end cap. I am not positive that this is where the leak was, but it fixed water getting into the bay. (My limited experience is that the source of the water is NOT the door seal. It is probably somewhere else).

2) The paint that Newell uses is grey primer. I suspect that they can tell you the exact color which would save you some time in masking off all the mechanical bits mounted to the wall.

Since that all looks like surface rust, I would not go too overboard with the fix. Some wire brush work should get most if not all the rust off.

Good luck.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks, Bill, for the response! That is very helpful.

I thinks it is odd for the rust on the wall. Hard to tell where the moisture is coming from? I'll ask the Newell guys when I'm there next months. I think part of the problem is the previous owner stored several liquid containers (coolant, hydraulic fluid, Aqua Hot fluid). He had a hose with an internal pump into a coolant container and the end of the hose was not secured.
What are the two filters for - air dryers?
What do you think of using POR 15? Have you used it?

Have a great day!

Sayed

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I have not used POR15...others have and it sounds like good / messy stuff!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thank you, Bill!
Sayed

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Wire brush it. Then clean it with the recommended cleaner for POR15. Grey POR15 is very close to the color that Newell uses. However, POR15 will not stand up to UV light, so I always paint over it with Rustoleum oil based grey. Good match.

POR15 is tenacious. If you get it on your skin you will wear it off. Nothing that I have found will remove dried POR15 from your skin.

A quart will easily do that bay. I would buy two pints. Once you open a can of POR15, it is pretty much gone. Resealing will work for about a week, then the whole can sets up. In my experience small diameter disposable rollers are far better than brushes when using POR15. I say disposable cause you are going to throw away whatever you use to apply it.

It is GOOD stuff.

Did I say don't get it on you ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have found this color to be a match for what Newell uses.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-St.../100196872

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

That is great information. Thank you very much Richard and Steve!

Richard: Is PORV the same as POR 15? Just want to make sure. Is there any specific kit of the POR what would work better for my application, do you know?

Sayed

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Sorry, I meant POR15. I don't really know about kits. They package many different ways. Two pints of grey and smallest amount of prep solution would do what you want.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you, Richard!
I'll work on it and post a picture when I'm done.

Regards to all!

Sayed

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237