You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bode door unseals

I am posting this question for another Newell owner since I do not have a Bode door on my coach. His coach is a 2009 Newell.

His door opens & closes normally.  As it closes it raises at the end which seals the door shut.  He states as he drives and hits unavoidable potholes the door drops and unseals allowing air to enter the coach.  It doesn't open, just drops enough to unseal.  What holds the door "up" as you drive?   Does air pressure hold the door "up" or is it a mechanical closing mechanism?

Newell has adjusted the door, but it continues to drop as he drives.

Thanks for any help..............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

I found this manual that says there are cam locks that engage to hold the door closed.  It has a section on adjusting the cam locks.

.pdf pneumatic plug door manual.pdf Size: 890.86 KB  Downloads: 22

Hope this helps.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

What do you call the air doors on the inside? Are they Bode also?

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thanks Bill.

Jack. No the interior doors are not manufactured by Bode.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Read the manual, but it doesn't address the problem specifically. Tried to call Bode technical support, but no one answered.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yes, the front/side entry BODE door must be inspected, maintained(lubed), and adjusted periodically. I really suggest no longer than every 3 months. Even Bode has a "daily" AND a "weekly" service schedule recommendation...yikes.

There is an "art" to adjusting that door; not just up/down, but also in/out for the top AND bottom. I found a couple of my lock plates were a bit loose and had shifted which allowed the door to pull away from the seal while driving in a crosswind; thus creating a negative vacuum...good way to tell you've got a problem.

Adjustment is pretty much "by feel"; I've watched the Newell techs adjust them a dozen times and it's done by looking for "plumb/level" and pulling at the base to make sure it's solid against the seal.

If you look in the adjustment manual I've attached, there are specs as to how much the door should "settle" into the latches. That's easy to check by putting tape on the door and the jam, making a mark across both for an index, and then using that mark to measure the distance it settles into the latches.

HTH

Attached Files
.pdf BODE Door Adjustment.pdf Size: 1.88 MB  Downloads: 15

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA