You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant overflow container cracked...

After a three day holdup from leaving on a month vacation, due to having to replace the Bendix air compressor on the Detroit Series 60, we are finally ready to go! The job of replacing one of these is taxing, but doable. That is a tough job of lining up the pump to the reduction gear while holding that heavy thing up. I'm definitely earning my Junior Guru badge! But I am also feeling good about learning how to do all the maintenance myself, and saving some big bucks along the way.
Here is my last issue...
I have a crack in the coolant overflow container. Any last minute fixes?
Thought about epoxy or fiberglass resin.
Any idea where to get a replacement? Quickly?  LOL!
Let me know Thanks again Guys!

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

(06-22-2016, 05:59 PM)Shamu406 Wrote:  After a three day holdup from leaving on a month vacation, due to having to replace the Bendix air compressor on the Detroit Series 60, we are finally ready to go! The job of replacing one of these is taxing, but doable. That is a tough job of lining up the pump to the reduction gear while holding that heavy thing up. I'm definitely earning my Junior Guru badge! But I am also feeling good about learning how to do all the maintenance myself, and saving some big bucks along the way.
Here is my last issue...
I have a crack in the coolant overflow container. Any last minute fixes?
Thought about epoxy or fiberglass resin.
Any idea where to get a replacement? Quickly?  LOL!
Let me know Thanks again Guys!

I got a universal replacement one at an auto parts store. Worked fine, but was thinking not big enough. Ended buying another one, and "t" it into the first one. About $15 each.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Do you recall what auto parts store? I'm in Florida, and have Napa, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts.
I guess I cold call them all! Lol.

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

you need a pretty big one for the s60 radiator.

btw, the company that makes them is in tempe az. i have been to the guys house and bought them from him before.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If you're not in too big a hurry look at US Plastics website. I bought this 6 quart one for my 8v92. Only had to weld a fitting onto the top for an overflow. Easy to weld it with a heat gun. They sell the fittings also.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.as...&catid=934

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

For a quick fix you can try this, it will stick to just about anything: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-A...id=crrdtfd

This is actually a 3M repair stick that is used to touch up the coating used on pipe that is buried. It is applied with a small torch or heat gun. Just warm up the plastic then melt the green stick so it drops onto the plastic tank.
Or if you can find out what type of plastic and find the same kind you can use it for a patch using heat.

Hey Tom do you think Plast-aid would work on this?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

This is not a pretty solution, but it can be done almost anywhere. Get a two gallon garden sprayer, hose clamps big enough to go around, and a test plug from the plumbing department the correct size to plug the fill hole.

All of this can be had at Lowes or Home Depot.

Disconnect the spray hose at the bottle and connect the rubber discharge hose from the radiator. Use the hose clamps to clamp the sprayer bottle to the upright where the current tank is located. Fill halfway with coolant. Use the test plug to cover the fill opening, but DON'T tighten it. The tank needs to breathe.

This will get you back in business with minimal fuss.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-22-2016, 07:33 PM)Shamu406 Wrote:  Hey Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Do you recall what auto parts store? I'm in Florida, and have Napa, O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts.
I guess I cold call them all! Lol.

John, believe it was Advance or O'Reilly's. They come with a bracket you can use to mount to existing one. You will need a plastic "t" with a foot or so of hose and clamps if you use two. Am still looking for a permanent fix that mounts out of the way.
Jim.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.

John,

I have not seen any at any auto parts stores that are big enough to handle the surge between cold and hot.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-23-2016, 08:34 AM)Richard Wrote:  John,

I have not seen any at any auto parts stores that are big enough to handle the surge between cold and hot.

Richard, that is why I bought two. After cool down still have about 2 inches in bottom of both containers.
Jim