You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Independent Front Suspension Adjustments

My comments are specific to the Dana Kirkstall IFS 84 suspension used from about 96 to 03 or so. 

The interstate handling of my coach had deteriorated resulting in some wandering at highway speeds. I don't like that. I suspected either steering gear box adjustment or toe in. 

I learned a few things in the fix that I thought I would pass on. 

The first is the adjustment of the steering gear sector screw. This adjusts the tightness of the steering gear box. Loose results in sloppy steering, and tight results in an evil beast. Tight means that for every small correction at highway speeds you have to make a correction in the other direction to cancel the first since the steering will not recenter. 

The best way to set the steering box is off the coach. The second best way is to remove the drag link arm and use free play in the pitman arm ( the square one attached to the steering box). You adjust the box until you feel free play in the pitman, then slowly tighten the screw till the free play is gone. It works, I've done it that way on other coaches. But you have to remove the drag link to do this, and that can be difficult. I could not get the drag link off. Of course there is always trial and error, but the changes are so subtle that it's easy to get lost. The worst way to adjust the box is to run the screw in until it feels snug. It will almost always be too tight if you do it that way. 

It occurred to me that there may be a third way of adjusting the box. I did this exercise with @77Newell help. The concept is this: using a dial indicator placed on the pitman arm, turn the steering wheel a set amount from right to left and measure the movement of the pitman arm. Less slop in the box will result in more movement at the arm as the box moves from right to left. 

Here is what we did.  Make a template to go behind the steering wheel, and go about 4 inches either side of the center and make a mark. Put tape and a mark on the top center of the wheel. In the straight ahead position the wheel should be centered between the marks on the template.   Mount the dial indicator base on the coach frame, and the dial indicator on the pitman arm. The front tires should be off the ground to make this easy. Of course, chock the coach for safety. 

Back off on the adjustment screw about a turn. Now have the steering wheel operator turn the steering wheel to the right mark. Set the dial indicator at zero. Turn the wheel to the left mark, and record the movement on the dial indicator. Tighten the screw 1/8 turn and repeat. You will find that with each tightening the movement will increase slightly. UNTIL you have removed the slop, then you will notice that amount of movement at the dial indicator does not increase with an increase in the adjustment screw. Put the adjustment screw at that sweet spot, and back it out about a 1/16 of a turn. 

I really learned something interesting when I started playing around with the toe. I don't have a fancy alignment machine in my drive so I use the old school trammel for checking toe. I won't bore you with my miscues on this one, just the interesting learning. 

I found that the toe I set with the trammel was significantly different in the static condition than in the dynamic condition. Huh? When I set the toe with the coach stationary, the toe would change if I rolled the coach forward. That kind of makes sense in that the toe adjustment can vary as the different forces take up the slop in all the suspension components including tie rod ends. I had set the toe at 3/16 in, but when I checked it after rolling forward, it was about 1/32 toed out. The coach definitely had the wanders at this setting. I spent the afternoon driving up and down the local interstate, stopping at rest areas, and using my trammel bar until I got the toe set at 3/16. The point is this, if you check the toe, ensure that the coach has rolled forward for twenty feet before you call it money. I don't know if this phenomena would occur on an alignment rack or not. 

I had an alignment done two years ago. I did not see the printout, but took the tech's word that the toe was set at 1/8. The coach drove OK and did not wander. I suspect that the change in toe was due to a change I made in the front ride height. I raised the front ride height when I installed the 365 tires to give a little more clearance to the fender skirts when making tight turns. As I look at the front end design it is clear that when you change the ride height on the IFS front end that you will change the toe. There are three tie rods on the IFS. The one in the center is mounted to the frame, it is connected to a right and left tie rod which are connected to the right and left steering knuckles. When I raised the frame relative to the tires, I essentially shortened the tie rod structure. Since the tie rods are behind the tires. I pulled the rear of the tires in and pushed the front of the tires out. Why didn't I notice right away? Cause it was one of the things I did while parked in Florida for two months. I am sure if I had raised the ride height and driven immediately afterwards the light bulb would have come on. 

I hope this helps you if you are OCD about steering like I am.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, this is very good information. My coach wandered significantly. I had Newell align the coach, but their system works with degrees rather than inches. My owner's manual says toe-in should be 1/16" and I believe Newell recommends zero. After they aligned the coach, it wandered the same as it did before alignment. I paid extra for them to set it at 3/16" which they did on their machine using hand measurements. It no longer wanders and this is more important to me than a little extra tire ware that may occur since in five years I will never wear them out anyway.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

I spent some time researching toe in settings. I looked at Prevost info, Reyco Granning, Hendrickson, and Country Coach (who used the IFS 84 also). I found recommendations from 1/16 to 1/8 nominal. I agree with you that 3/16 may result in more tire wear, and I will monitor it and report back as we accumulate miles. I think the tire wear is a good tradeoff for two reasons. One the coach is more relaxing to drive when it's not wandering. Two, I feel like I am in more control when next to a semi or in a construction zone when the coach doesn't move as much from side to side.

Here is the condensed research I found on IFS suspensions used on coaches.

Spartan (IFS 84 - same as Newell) 1/8 +/- 1/16
Prevost 3/32 +/- 1/16
Hendrickson 1/16 +/- 1/16
Reyco Granning 1/8 +/- 1/16

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I have put 32,100 miles on the 365 front tires, and 16,000 since I set the toe-in to 3/16". Total wear in the center of each tire is 1/8", slightly more (3/16") on the outside of the curb tire only. The tires originally had 5/8" tread and I run with 110 lbs. pressure. I consider this wear to be insignificant and am somewhat surprised how low it is. Plus it has been more fun to drive since it holds the road better.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Old thread, great info!

Any updates, are folks still happy with and recommending 3/16" for their IFS 84 front suspension?

Very timely as my 2003 Country Coach Lexa is at Kaiser Brake and Alignment right now, replacing the SuperSteer tie rod ends, some pitman arm updates, then an alignment. Thinking to recommend 3/16" toe in based on this thread, but would love any updates.

Thanks!

Jim

I would still recommend 1/16 to 3/16.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(07-19-2023, 05:34 PM)Richard Wrote:  I would still recommend 1/16 to 3/16.

Thanks!

So that's nominal/static? (alignment rack settinig)?

Which I think dynamic/rolling pushes out somewhat to maybe a hair of toe out?

Ok, you opened this can of worms so here they are.

In my not so humble opinion………..there is a difference between the toe in set on an alignment rack and the toe in measured as the coach rolls down the road.

I have used the toe in of 1/16 as it rolls down the road for the last four years. If you find all my posts on the front end fixes and adjustments you will see that I am OCD about how the coach drives. I do not have ‘wander’ in the steering. I do have a slight toed in wear pattern in the tread, and there is about 50k miles on the steer tires. I run tire pressures AT the recommended inflation pressure for the front axle weight, not 5 or 10 psig above.

Very few people are going to go to the trouble of making a trammel bar and rolling the coach 20 ft forward to check the toe. And certainly trying to get a tech using an alignment rack to take it off the rack and do it that way is a no go. So setting the toe to 1/8 to 3/32 on the rack allows for a wee bit of movement to result in something closer to 1/16 on the road. It’s hard to speculate on how much difference because each coach will have a different amount of play in all the joints.

I will comment on one other thing. You should not have any toe out. The least bit of toe out will result in a coach that unpredictably darts from side to side. If you have that situation, it is not relaxing to drive at all.

And one more thing about the DANA IFS 84 front end is that it is insanely sensitive to ride height when setting the toe. It must be at the travel ride height when setting the toe. That can only be achieved by lowering the coach below ride height and putting it back into travel mode. This minimizes the hysterisis in the ride height control valve. I have demonstrated for my self that a 1/2 inch difference in ride height translates into a 1/4 inch difference in toe. It is all related to the hypersensitivity of the HCV mounted to the sway bar combined with a trigonometry change given one end of the tie rod is fixed to the frame and one end is fixed to the a arm. A difference in ride height changes the angle of the tie rod arm thereby changing the tie rod effective length.

Sorry for the dissertation, too much coffee and rain this morning.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(07-20-2023, 11:31 AM)Richard Wrote:  Ok, you opened this can of worms so here they are.

In my not so humble opinion………..there is a difference between the toe in set on an alignment rack and the toe in measured as the coach rolls down the road.

I have used the toe in of 1/16 as it rolls down the road for the last four years. If you find all my posts on the front end fixes and adjustments you will see that I am OCD about how the coach drives. I do not have ‘wander’ in the steering. I do have a slight toed in wear pattern in the tread, and there is about 50k miles on the steer tires. I run tire pressures AT the recommended inflation pressure for the front axle weight, not 5 or 10 psig above.

Very few people are going to go to the trouble of making a trammel bar and rolling the coach 20 ft forward to check the toe. And certainly trying to get a tech using an alignment rack to take it off the rack and do it that way is a no go. So setting the toe to 1/8 to 3/32 on the rack allows for a wee bit of movement to result in something closer to 1/16 on the road. It’s hard to speculate on how much difference because each coach will have a different amount of play in all the joints.

I will comment on one other thing. You should not have any toe out. The least bit of toe out will result in a coach that unpredictably darts from side to side. If you have that situation, it is not relaxing to drive at all.

And one more thing about the DANA IFS 84 front end is that it is insanely sensitive to ride height when setting the toe. It must be at the travel ride height when setting the toe. That can only be achieved by lowering the coach below ride height and putting it back into travel mode. This minimizes the hysterisis in the ride height control valve. I have demonstrated for my self that a 1/2 inch difference in ride height translates into a 1/4 inch difference in toe. It is all related to the hypersensitivity of the HCV mounted to the sway bar combined with a trigonometry change given one end of the tie rod is fixed to the frame and one end is fixed to the a arm. A difference in ride height changes the angle of the tie rod arm thereby changing the tie rod effective length.

Sorry for the dissertation, too much coffee and rain this morning.

All great info, thanks! I'm an engineer so the more info and data and understanding about how things work, the better.

I'll give Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene a call and ask how they set both toe and ride height on the rack, I think repairs finished today and alignment tomorrow so great timing.

Great to learn. I race cars competitively and front end is the opposite, I need a little toe out in the front or the front end is very 'happy' with even small bits of lateral weight transfer, so get wandering w toe in and less overall frontend grip in corners. It sounds counter-intuitive, but when cornering at the limit you've always got slip and dealing with differential slip angles, plus of course constant geometry changes under the high longitudinal and lateral loads. The rear is the opposite, need a hair of toe in to keep things stable on the straights, and the squat under acceleration will cause dynamic toe out effect so I'll get effective zero toe (and thus no scrub) under acceleration out of corners.

I know this is an old thread, but I am going through the front of 490 trying to get everything back up to par and hopefully get the steering feel much better, less wander.

So Richard mentioned that the ride height in the front is very important, do we know what the ride height is supposed to be? I know you mention the 11-12” from the ground to the bottom of the fender but most suspension systems have a measurement to go by. Let’s say on the drive axle you normally are making sure that the panhard bar is level at travel ride height. 

I did find a publication for country coach, it says it’s for Ridewell IFS 284?? But it gives you a measurement in relation to the bottom A arm outer mount to the inner mount. 

Here is what I am talking about:

Do we know if there is such a measurement for the Dana IFS 84?

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)