You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello group !

Thanks for inviting me ... I've done some researching and for fit, finish, my intended use, and interest in more of a machine than a camper - Newell keeps popping up. Was looking at Prevost until I realized that they seem more towards "made to drive and will camp" as opposed to "made to camp and will drive" (I say this to illustrate - I'm certain a Newell drives beautifully as well Smile).

Please help steer me - I (think) I'm interested in the 1990-2002? series non-slide. Were there particularly good years ? Is there equipment that I should look for ? Maybe there weren't enough made for me to be too choosy ...

Ned

Welcome Ned!! Until 1996, all Newells were non-slide. The next to the last Newell built in 1996 (#436) had a slide. Early 1997 models typically didn't have slides although a few had a single slide. By the middle of the 1997 model run, most had one slide and near the end several (at least 3) two slide coaches were built.

After 1997, non-slide coaches are rare as hen's teeth. #490 (a 1998) and #507 (a 1999) are the only non-slide coaches I am aware of during the later portion of the time frame you mentioned. By 2002, most were 3 or 4 slides although a few 2 slide coaches were made.

In round numbers something like 30-32 Newells were made per year during 1990-2002.

From 1990 through mid 1994, most Newells had the Detroit Diesel 8V92 and an Allison 4 speed although a few CAT or Cummins may be out there. After that time, most were powered with Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines with an Allison 6 speed transmission.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Ned: during the years you are looking at, the care it has been shown over the years will be far more important to your cost of ownership and reliability than anything else. Actually, that would be true of any vintage of Newell or any other high end coach.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(07-26-2016, 10:56 AM)77newell Wrote:  Ned: during the years you are looking at, the care it has been shown over the years will be far more important to your cost of ownership and reliability than anything else. Actually, that would be true of any vintage of Newell or any other high end coach.

Thank you Jon and Michael ... To your point Jon - I looked at a 1995 that wasn't in very good condition and I learned A LOT. Could see the edge of the floor from the basement door edges looking up and found condition related things, radiator mounting flange, various wiring that was clearly factory (or not), exhaust hangers for the generator, etc., etc. Michael, your input about slides and production is VERY helpful ... I could have quite a wait if I didn't like white Smile. Now that I've made that statement about preferring non-slide, there's no question that it would be helpful with a crosswise bed ...

Thanks guys, Ned

Typically if it has an 8V92 the bed is front-rear (North-South). If it has the Series 60, with few exceptions, it will be an East-West or crosswise bed.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(07-26-2016, 04:12 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Typically if it has an 8V92 the bed is front-rear (North-South). If it has the Series 60, with few exceptions, it will be an East-West or crosswise bed.

Ah ha ! That makes sense. I'm big on using the back of the bus to put stuff. However, the thermometer bed in the one I looked at today doesn't have enough room to sleep 2 at the head ... I will try and remember that I can't be too picky Smile

There are some pretty deep cabinets behind the N/S beds but certainly not nearly as large as the walk in closets in the rear of the E/W beds. However, most of the E/W beds are the "thermometer" type until 1998.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com