You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH leveling

Having trouble just lately with my leveling system. I am attaching a couple of pics of my 6 packs that I have on coach number 372. They appear to be differant than most others. The solinod valves on mine are Smc product model numberNVK334. Does any one else have this product on their HWH units on thier coachs. WIth some research they appear to be around $30 usd each. Any way of checking with one or more of the 18 that could be faulty? mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My Newell 316 had one of these manifolds for the tag axle. I called Newell and they said valves no longer available. They had a used manifold that they sold me that utilizes the round solenoid valves.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

from what i can see those valves are still available.

the real question is if they are even bad.

if you read our section on finding air leaks, you really need to start isolating the system down with one of the test rigs that you can make pretty cheaply. break it into small chunks to find the problem.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I just want to echo toms advice. What is the system doing or not doing? Then check both the signals going to the valves and use the air isolator to check downstream. The reason that we suggest this is that many of us in the early days of ownership threw a lot of money at six pack valves only to discover the valve was not the problem . Sure they are accessible and easy to change but not necessarily the culprit

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I echo what Richard said, describing the symptoms being experienced with as much precision as possible is necessary if we are to offer anything beyond speculations and generalizations. It is helpful to us, and ultimately you, to know what the systems is doing and not doing, when it started (and any work that was done just prior to the symptoms appearing), and what you have already tried and what if anything changed in any way as a result of these attempts. This is information I develop for myself when troubleshooting a problem. I find that the more thoroughly I describe the situation the clearer the path to the solution.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

thanks for all your replies. what my system has started doing is I have moved locations three times in the last week with all three being the ground elevation being lower at the front end of the coach. when first parked in all three locations I have leveled with the rear of coach dropping and the front raising to proper position. With in several hours the front of coach has dropped by as much as three inchs. At that point I will re-level the coach with the leveling pad showing yellow light on front of coach till it has raised into position and light goes out with coach back into proper position. After two or three attempts with the same results the leveling pad on dash now shows no yellow lights on even though coach is badly out of level? Just checked with a builders level and coach is know 6 inchs lower at the front but pad on dash shows all is good.

Hmmmm, it is possible that there are two confounding things going on. The first is why is the front dropping. I would highly recommend as Tom suggested that you build the air system tester, and isolate the front air bags from the six pack. That will tell you if the leak is in the air bags/tanks/connections OR in the six pack.

The second issue is the behavior of the HWH computer. I can't help there, cause I turn mine off. It does nutty stuff from time to time if left in relevel mode. One thing to be aware of is that the HWH computers read an air pressure from the sixpack manifold to keep the coach from pancaking on the air bags. Those sensors have been disconnected on many Newells which complicates the autoleveling algorithm.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Do you know where the sensor is? Should be in one of the basement compartments and looks like a silver disc with springs holding it mounted to the roof of the compartment. If you manipulate it you should hear the valves actuate. Make sure nothing has bumped it or leaning against it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

One thing to try is to start with your coach level. Then go into travel mode and turn the key off (This is so that auto level is turned off). Now see how fast it gets out of level.

Next leave in auto-level mode (again starting from level position) and see if there is any difference.

My level sensor (see Forest's post) is out of adjustment right now and any attempt at auto-level results in less than optimal results. I just adjust manually. Thanks to Tom's and others advice, I have found most of the leaks which allow the air bags to deflate. Normally, I can go a few days before I have to re-level.

Hope this helps!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

thanks forest will try that. often wondered what that unit was. Idea  so far started engine and built up air to max. this time I did not hit auto level. bags appear to be holding air fine. it has not settled now in four hours. need to move within the park in the am. will try auto level then and see what happens