You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Combination Grey/Black Tank ~ Issues?

It's always interesting when one manufacturer does something different, clearly weighing risks vs rewards.

Newell apparently only offers combination waste/grey water tanks (sometimes with a grey water bypass switch). I would think that offers more flexibility (don't have to worry black vs grey capacities), but apparently it's a requirement of RVIA.

I would think an in-tank rinsing system would be a must  (ie Santicon or similar), but I don't think I've ever seen a coach listed with it.
Which then makes me wonder about the grey water bypass ~ creating a bigger issue by not being able to flush out the hose?
And a related issue, do Newell's offer maserators on the tank dump connections?

Do any of you have issues or experience either way with a combined tank? Thoughts?

Mark of SJC

I and probably many others here have had experience with both. My travel trailer had separate tanks. I installed a tank rinse system in the black tank because it was necessary to clean out the solids that did not want to move. I have never needed a rinse out with either Newell. I think the additional capacity offered by Newells combined tank negates the necessity for separate tanks for extended "dry" camping. My wife and I can easily go 7-10 days before needing to dump. By then we need water as well. If we knew we were "dry" camping for longer we would be more conservative.
My Newell does not have a macerator but I know others that do.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

With one tank have never needed a flush out type of cleaner, there is enought water in the tank that none of the solids will stick to the bottom. On my Newell, gray water will go straight overboard if the final valve is left open, no switch necessary. If closed, gray water will go into combined tank. Fill tank with a combination till about 1/2 full, then open final valve to let gray water go directly out.  Probably not very pc, but have used my macarator to pump tank out into a field away from any people.  Used a package of black tank treatment before pumping. No smell, no solids, and on a hot sunny day is evaporated and gone in a couple of hours. Best done while dry camping way out there.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

Don't be concerned, Jim.....There are business in my area who are paid to spread "human waste" from municipalities onto the fields ......

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I like it that the fresh water and sewer tanks are the same size. As long as I have water, I do not have to think about the sewer capacity. I have a macarator system, but only rarely use it in a situation where I need to dump but cannot reach the dump facility with the larger hose. The larger hose is necessary to adequately remove the solids in the bottom. My opinion.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I've had both - LOVE the combined waste tank with the grey bypass.
Hated the separate tanks on the Airstream - as soon as one filled, you had to dump, even if the other was almost empty. Never really got to use the full capacity of the waste tanks.

Newell's way is easier for me to enjoy !

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Have a trailer on Caddo Lake in La. You can have a septic tank but not a leach field, [because of the lake]
so the parish recommends you put a pump in your tank with a float switch that pumps out of the tank when full.
The pump is plumbed to a pop-up sprinkler system in your yard! A little smelly when pumping.
You do have to remember to shut the pump off before mowing. But you can tell where the sprinkler heads are, because the grass
is greener and taller around them.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

does anyone know where you can get water/ waste tank monitor repaired.

Lee & Patsy Brown,  Granbury Texas,    1998   45DSL  #476 

I understand that closing the manual valve and opening the air valve on the drivers side bay dump will enable the grey water bypass. Does anyone have a diagram of the plumbing? I am trying to understand how the 2 valves work with just one tank.

If anyone is interested, I figured out after dumping if I turn on kitchen faucet, it will flush out the sewer valve and line. Seems to be worth the effort to make sure the air valve is free of debris before closing.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike, typically only the toilet(s) go directly into the waste holding tank. The shower and all sinks/lavatories go into a pipe which terminates between the two valves on the driver's side. When the inner/manual value is closed and the outer/air valve is open, everything except the toilets bypasses the waste holding tank. IF the outer valve is closed and the inner valve is open, everything goes into the waste holding tank. IF both valves are close, the pipe that accepts the sink/lavatories starts filling up and at the top of the waste holding tank, tees off and dumps into the waste tank. That way if you leave both valves closed and run the sink, shower, lavatories, washer, etc, the grey water will fill the pipe between the two valves until it reaches a level above the top of the waste tank and then be discharged into the waste tank instead of backing up into the shower which is typically the next lowest point in the grey water drain system.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com