You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Am I looking for a Unicorn?

As I posted earlier, I'm a new guy and Foretravel owner. I would like my next coach to be a 2004-2006 45 ft one or two slide with a DD 60 series engine, a NS bed and something other than white laminate interior. Most of the Newell coaches I have seen have an EW bed that looks almost round, three slides and a white interior that is a bit sterile for my taste. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

2002 Foretravel U320

Not sure what NS and EW mean. But finding less than 4 slides will be a challenge. I have not seen any white laminate interiors. There are some that have a creamy tan leather with patterned laminate and corian interiors.

If you look around I suspect that you will find quite a few that should suit you.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Rentajetpilot, 2004-2006 includes Series 2000, Series 2000i and Series P2000i coaches. #776, a 2006 was the first P2000i. They have the Porsche design front end with the one piece windshield. #722 was the first 2000i Series coach. They have the Porsche designed rear end and taller sides to hide the roof airs. During the 2004 model year there was a significant change to the ZF suspension with the steerable tag axle. This change occurred in coaches #671, 681, 685, and everything built after 697. Most of the Newells in 2004 and 2005 had DD 60 engines as did the first part of 2006. Most of the later 2006 models had Caterpillar engines.

Although there are a number of coaches in that time period that I do not have adequate information to identify, I can say that in the 2004-2006 model years, most were at least 3 slides with most being 4 slide. In 2004, I show #682 and #710 were 2 slides. In 2005, I show #731, #734, #742, and #747 were 2 slide. In 2006, I show #769 was a 2 slide.

During the mid to late 1990's Newells used a lot of keyhole shaped beds were used but during the time period you are looking at, most Newells had beds that were E/W with only rounded corners on the pedestal and the mattress. The exceptions were those few Newells with Murphy beds which fold up into the wall and a few center island beds with a walk way on either side, both designs used standard rectangular mattresses. The center island beds are virtually all quad slide models since the center island bed concept requires two bedroom slides. Some bedroom layouts allow a rectangular mattress to be used but it will reduce the clearance around the foot of the bed. That is the reason Newell used mattresses with rounded corners in the first place. I have a coach with a N/S bed that came with a mattress with rounded corners. I replaced it with a standard queen size memory foam mattress. If gives me more bed space but is does make walking around the bed more difficult. #734, one of the 2005 two slide coaches appears to have come with a rectangular mattress from the factory. The good news is that coaches with only a single bedroom slide can typically accommodate a rectangular mattress more easily than the coaches with two bedroom slides due to the shape of the cabinets across from the foot of the bed.

Interior cabinets and walls are laminate. Many were white or a light laminate but some were a wood grain laminate, most a darker wood with a few lighter wood finishes. Of the 2 slide coaches I am aware of (and there may be a few others that I do not have information on), #734 has a very light wood grain laminate while all of the others I listed above had white, off-white or very light patterned laminate interiors.

While I would certainly not be so bold as to say it doesn't exist, the likelihood of meeting the year, engine, N/S bed 1 or 2 slide with other than a white laminate interior is extremely limited. The first thing to eliminate would be the combination of 1 or 2 slides and a N/S bed in the 2004-2006 time period. Since each Newell is custom built, there could be someone who ordered one built with a N/S bed other than a center island bed which almost requires 2 bedroom slides but I have never seen one after about 1994.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Fulltiming, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. This will get me looking in the right direction for now.

2002 Foretravel U320

I may be repeating what Michael said but using different words.

If you only want 1 or 2 slides you will have to back up to 98 to 2002 or so. After that it will be three or four. There might be a rare one..

Is your NS bed thing based on the one keyhole shaped EW bed you saw? Many of the EW beds are rectangular with slightly rounded corners at the foot. Newell placed the rear slide over the tires so it kind of dictates the bed orientation. You can get around those beds to the rear if needed while the slide is in. Those beds will be queen or king depending on the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks, I starting to get "a feel for what I think I want" . I see #671 for sale. It meets most of my requirements and I can see the need for two bedroom slides. Does anyone have experience with this coach ? I know it was the first steerable tag and I am generally leery of the first one of anything so any input would be appreciated.

2002 Foretravel U320

#671 was the first coach Newell built with the ZF suspension. It was built as a 2004 model even though #672-678 were built as 2003 models. As soon as 671 was built, Karl Blade used it for several months to make sure the new suspension met his expectations for Newell. Obviously it worked well as the ZF suspension became the new standard equipment for Newell and is still used on Newells 13 years later.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com