You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ammeter Theory of Operation

Gang,

Has anyone gone though and figured out how the ammeters above the dash work?  One of mine works (kinda) and one is dead.

I am assuming that there is a sensor (either a shunt or a Hall effect sensor) near the transfer switch.  I am not sure where to even start.

Has anyone replaced their meters with digital?  or even found a replacement source for the analog meter if that turns out to be whats wrong.

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Mine is a hall effect, I see the hot leads pass through two coils.

An alternative idea if you have a progressive surge protection box is to remote mount the display panel where the ammeters are now.

The display cycles through voltage, amperage, and frequency continuously.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, where are the coils? Under the breaker box in a metal can?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Look there and in the big breaker box in the back. It is not clear to me why opening the breaker on the AC circuits disables the ammeters.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

The analog AC ammeters are current transformer driven, these are sometimes called "donuts".  The CTs are located in the circuit breaker panel at the rear of the coach.  The standard ratio for CTs is 5 amperes on the secondary with the primary varying depending on the  current carried.  For example, 100:5,  one hundred amps on the wire in the center of the CT results in 5 amp on the small secondary leads.  The meter is 5 ampere full scale and the face plate is respective of the primary CT ratio.  Newell doesn't use the standard 5 amp secondary (at least not on 567) instead, it is an unknown ratio.

With all due respect Richard, i don't think they are Hall effect.  When the main breaker is opened the current flow stops so the meters drop to zero.

I wanted to read KWs which required a complete meter change as well as CTs.  I selected a Crompton digital product, changed the CTs, & used the voltmeter leads (which also originate in the panel and are fused).  The "plexiglass" strip holding the analog meters needed to be replaced since this digital replaced four meters.  It's not as convenient since scrolling is required the view the individual voltages and currents but it does display one voltage, an average current , & kilowatts in one of the scroll positions (all three).  That was the objective.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

My bad, I ran Hall effect and coils together in my little pea brain.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

[attachment=4129]For those interested, here is a picture of the meter.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Not that anyone would, but one of the big no no's of electrical work is to NEVER open the secondary of a CT transformer. In other words, don't lift the wire from your ammeter with power applied to the coach. Russ EE

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I bet that I WOULD do that! Thanks for the words of caution!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Gang,

I found the "donuts" in the bottom of the breaker box in the back of coach.  They don't look like current transformers to me.  More like an induction device like a hall sensor.  They are little donuts that have the red and black heavy gauge wires running through them.  Am I understanding this correctly?

The problem that I have is that the ammeters in coach don't work.  My plan is to verify that the white/black and white red twisted pairs actually show up behind ammeters.  If that is correct, I will replace both meters with ammeters that include their own coils with something like this and this.  While I am at it, I may replace the volt meters for matching units.

Is this a good plan?

Gordon, I like your setup but would rather have two meters so that I can see L-1 and L-2 at same time.

Thanks!
bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama