You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No pressure on Tag axle

Well we are on our way to our winter spot now in Ohio and the last few days I have noticed the tag tires chirping when coming to a stop.
I noticed the tag tires are much cooler than the drive so checked the pressure on the tag and it is where it has always been for the last almost 10 years. Also noticed the tire is not making as much a foot print on the ground. I added more pressure quite a bit more and no difference. So I guess it must be one of the solenoids. Anyone have any experience with this?
The pressure regulator comes off the bottom bunch of solenoids. I tried to measure voltage and couldn't get any reading from any of the solenoids including the top bunch to the drive axle bags but coach seems to sit ok. 
With the tag not bearing the load it used to now all the weight is on the drive axle. Got a few hundred miles to go today then will be stationary for a few days. Plan on stopping by Newell next monday for another situation and would like to fix this if possible.
Towing a trailer which seems to be helping in stopping.
I think I have extra solenoids, will check my stash.

Thanks 
Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Sounds like my setup, you have a separate 6 pack for the tag with an adjustment knob and separate gauge for tag pressure. Since most Newells don't have the separate 6 pack for the tag axle I will add that the top air gauge on mine is the transmission air shift pressure, the middle is the system pressure (non-adjustable) and the lower gauge is the tag axle air pressure.

When I bought the coach, I assumed that the top gauge and adjustment was for the tag. All I was doing was deccreasing the transmission air shift pressure instead of decreasing the tag pressure. Newell suggests 25 psi on the tag but after weighing mine I found that 40 psi got the tag up to the 9,000 lbs range with a loaded coach and dropped the weight on the drive axle by almost 2,000 lbs. At 20 psi I only had 5,000 pounds on the tag and the drive axle was slightly overloaded. At 45 psi on the tag it was about 9,200 pounds on the tag and the drive was below 20,000.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I found 2 new solenoids but they don't have spade terminals but wires with plug connectors. I suppose I could cut the wires and add
proper connector but not sure which goes where. There are orange and green wires connected now.
Today seems like the bags were acting better no draging of the tag. Looking at the bags one looks to be more inflated than the other.
Unless I am on scales how can I be sure they are working properly?
Need to know which solenoids do what in the 6 pack
Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad.. Can u post a pic of the 6 pac?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Here is a pic of the 6 pack.
Pressure gauge is to the left of the adjustment knob at bottom.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

With the KEY on, and the coach in TRAVEL mode. Take a washer or screwdriver to the six pack. The travel solenoids will be magnetic.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard for that tip. I will try it tomorrow.
I am interested in keeping what I have working. Someplace here I remember long time ago someone mentioned how they
cleaned up or repaired a solenoid. What goes wrong with them?

So the bags only inflate to to the regulated pressure when the coach is in drive?
Then when you stop and take the coach out of drive it releases the air?

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

(10-11-2016, 07:29 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Sounds like my setup, you have a separate 6 pack for the tag with an adjustment knob and separate gauge for tag pressure. Since most Newells don't have the separate 6 pack for the tag axle I will add that the top air gauge on mine is the transmission air shift pressure, the middle is the system pressure (non-adjustable) and the lower gauge is the tag axle air pressure.

When I bought the coach, I assumed that the top gauge and adjustment was for the tag. All I was doing was deccreasing the transmission air shift pressure instead of decreasing the tag pressure. Newell suggests 25 psi on the tag but after weighing mine I found that 40 psi got the tag up to the 9,000 lbs range with a loaded coach and dropped the weight on the drive axle by almost 2,000 lbs. At 20 psi I only had 5,000 pounds on the tag and the drive axle was slightly overloaded. At 45 psi on the tag it was about 9,200 pounds on the tag and the drive was below 20,000.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but you mentioned the top air gauge was for the transmission. Lately that gauge on mine stays on zero even after running the engine. Is that something normal and/or should be expected after not actually driving the coach for months?

(10-11-2016, 05:33 PM)Brad Townsend Wrote:  So the bags only inflate to to the regulated pressure when the coach is in drive?
Then when you stop and take the coach out of drive it releases the air?

Brad

Brad, I am assuming that you are referring only to the tag axle air bag pressure. As long as the manual switch on the dash is in the normal position, the tag axle air bags will follow the same inflation/deflation as the rear axle air bags although it will be limited to a lower maximum pressure. It is only when you dump the air in the tag axle bags with the switch on the dash that the tag air bags will fully deflate.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(10-11-2016, 06:13 PM)Newell270 Wrote:  
(10-11-2016, 07:29 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Sounds like my setup, you have a separate 6 pack for the tag with an adjustment knob and separate gauge for tag pressure. Since most Newells don't have the separate 6 pack for the tag axle I will add that the top air gauge on mine is the transmission air shift pressure, the middle is the system pressure (non-adjustable) and the lower gauge is the tag axle air pressure.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but you mentioned the top air gauge was for the transmission. Lately that gauge on mine stays on zero even after running the engine. Is that something normal and/or should be expected after not actually driving the coach for months?

I would suspect that the gauge is malfunctioning. If you actually did not have any air pressure going to the air shifter, you would not be able to get the transmission to change out of neutral or to shift gears either manually with the toggle switch or automatically.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com