You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

thoughts on rear raise air solenoids for leveling system

hi all,

in my quest for rebuilding air solenoid valves for the leveling system i have discovered a few things.  i have run across 4 different solenoids that were used.  3 can use the rebuild kits i make and 1 cannot.  

the 3 that can have very similar brass main bodies.  however the orfice cavity is slightly different on each.  2 of them (the newer ones) have a smaller orfice than the older KIP valves like was on my 90.  

still functionally identical other than the older kip valves let air in or out just a little faster.  

so there is the basis for my question.  the rear of the coach weighs alot more for sure and on mine, it raises slower than the front does.  there are 6 airbags on the back and 2 on the front on mine.  i am thinking of using the bigger orfice valve bodies for the RAISE function on the rear six pack.  anyone see any issue with that?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It would be interesting to time it before and after the change. I would think that the limiting factor might be in the size of the incoming air supply line but there are certainly multiple variables in play and a larger valve orifice might make some difference.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I don't see an issue, but I also think that only a recovering engineer will be able to tell the difference.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I can't see a problem in terms of fore and aft leveling. In terms of side to side I think it might help divert more air to the rear thus preventing the front airbags from trying to rise too far or getting ahead of the rear which puts twist forces into the frame.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed