You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

High Speed Internet for Work

Anyone living and working full time on the road that uses high speed internet? I am researching solutions and thinking about wifi and cellular boosters along with a mobile router but would like some real world experience. 

I am also concerned about having to put antennas on the roof. Should that be a concern?

PDQ has a package system with a single antenna for wifi, cellular, and HDTV. Any thoughts or experience?

For me to work I need high speed and a large data package because I do a lot of video conferencing and also use VPN back to corporate HQ.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I am just starting to research this as we will be full time in 5 short months.
You might check out Chris and Cherie are professional " technomads"', and full timers as well. They have a wonderful web site, along with publications to help.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Guy
1984 Newell # 59
Southern California, not for long

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

One of the challenging aspects of mobile life is reliable internet. Back in the early 2000's using dial up at the Park office was about as good a connection as you could get. I was a beta tester for the MotoSat DataStorm mobile satellite antenna using HughesNet and thought I had the world by the tail. I could get about 1Mbps down and 300Kpbs up. As the years rolled by, parks began installing WiFi systems but they were slow and frequently unreliable. I supplemented by DataStorm with a cellular modem. With the increased availability of 4G, I found that I was getting faster speeds fro the cellular modem than the DataStorm but I continued to use both supplemented by an EnGenius external router/antenna to give me the best shot at WiFi that I could find.

The limiting factor are speed and daily/monthly bandwidth limits. If cost is no object, there are mobile satellite systems available with high speeds and large data caps but they are not priced at typical consumer prices since they are oriented toward businesses. Head over to DataStormUsers.com if you want more information of satellite systems available. If you are typically in areas where 4G is available, Verizon offers data plans up to at least 100GB/month. I have only been to one RV Park where I had truly great WiFi service. Most Park WiFi systems will choke on VPN.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I feel great now Michael. I have 2 Verizon USB modems on UNLIMITED data plans!

Those unlimited data plans are getting more rare everyday. Note that a number of sources are saying that notices are being sent out to unlimited data plan holders that are exceeding 100GB/month that their plans are being eliminated.

http://arstechnica.com/information-techn...00gbmonth/
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/26/fyi...unlimited/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3099008/m...-data.html

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I use Wifi Ranger. The new models have an antenna that mounts on the roof and can really reach out and get good signal.

My experience has been that the parks I go to have decent wifi especially using wifi ranger, and I supplement with cellular. (Wifi ranger will accept a cellular modem and you can set it to fall back from wifi to cellular.

I am pretty sure that Newell used or is using wifi rangers in new coaches.

https://www.wifiranger.com

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I use Wifi Ranger coupled to a Verizon Jet Pack and hard wired to my computer. I attached both Ranger and Verizon booster antennas to my old TV roof top antenna which allows me to raise and lower them. I doubt there is enough speed or data capacity to meet your needs, but I at least have good internet wherever I go.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

It would help to know what your minimum speed and data requirements are. There are no mobile alternatives that compete with cable. Satellite has a delay that can really slow down secure transmissions (lots of packets to move back and forth 23,000 miles up to the satellite and 23,000 miles back down).

It is also helpful to know where you typically go in your RV. If you spend a lot of time in heavily wooded areas, satellite internet will not be very successful. If you spend most of your time in areas close to interstate highways, 4G service may be a better option. If you spend a great deal of time in the western U.S. a low way from major metropolitan areas or interstate highways, 4G may not work for you. The equipment costs can be brutal on high speed (read LARGE) satellite dishes with high power transmitters.

WiFi will be an issue frequently if you need high speed and large data capacities. On a recent trip from Texas to Florida, I found the parks I stayed in had WiFi suitable for browsing but some even stated in their brochures that streaming and large data usage was not allowed.

For the casual internet user, WiFi and cellular are typically the most cost effective solutions. For very heavy users, especially those that need a high speed connection for work purposes, WiFi is typically a non-starter (with a few exceptions) and cellular will work only if you stay in or near populated areas or interstate highways with 4G and can live within their data limits (Verizon is $450/month for 100GB/month unless you happen to have one of the old grandfathered 'unlimited' data accounts which will disappear or be restricted one of these days).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

One option if video conferencing or other VPN heavy data usages are needed would be to get a hotel room for the night. Most chains offer a faster option for a couple bucks more. Of course this could be expensive if needed frequently.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I am a full time telecommuter for a Global High Tech company which is hopefully 2 years away from retirement. My day is spent on WebEx meetings with audio and video. We started looking at evolving from a motor yacht to a RV a couple years ago. After research I knew working from the road full time would be a challenge. So, when this coach became available we decided to try to use as much as possible with careful planning for Internet work. We don't know at this point where we will be going. First thought is friends and family in the southeast and use their internet. Also, my company has offices in large cities but we really don't want to spend much time in those except maybe for a few days in route to some location. I am also wondering if a wifi extender would help me use some public wifi systems other than at a RV park.

Questions
1. I like the WiFiRanger as I want both wifi and 4G capabilities. Having both in the same box seems like a good idea. Did I read correctly that if wifi fails then the cellular can be the backup uplink?
2. Is a wifi antenna enough or do I need an extender such as the bullet? I had a bullet on my boat and it added latency (delay) that made doing voice or video intermittent.
3. I am planning to use a cell phone for voice and already have a MiFi card with Verizon. Will an external antenna be enough or should I buy a cellular booster?
4. I have not been on my roof yet, but see an old cellular antenna, fm antenna, over the air TV antenna, and an in-motion satellite dish. How should I mount any new antennas or use what is there? How do the cables come into the coach without leaking?
Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model