You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Plank Flooring & Stair Remodel

We are going to remove the carpet and install a new flooring system. So I reviewed the threads related to flooring and found several old postings. Was wondering if there were any experience with the newer flooring systems. We are contemplating the installation of a interlocking vinyl plank system. The planks are 9" x 72" x 8.3mm. It is floating/glueless with a cork underlayment.
How will this system work with the slides?
Is a floating system a good idea for the coach? Should we use a glued system?

Also we are wanting to remodel the entry stairs. They are currently spiral. We want to make them full width and a straight entry into the coach. I have looked under the stair well and it looks like there should be no issues with the remodel. Has anyone transformed the spiral stairs into a straight entry?

2000 Newell
Coach # 553

all the coaches I put flooring in I use engineered wood. When you scratch it, you can add a little stain to mask the scratch. Every material will scratch. I use Roppe rubber stair treads for the entry. I also put the engineered wood on the slides and risers

I have installed the vinyl planking similar to what you described in the front salon with HWH slide.

I glued it down.

I used a high end backing underneath which has a little sponginess to it. I don't like the fact the floor gives when I step up on it. It's most noticeable with the slide out when you weight the sections between the fixed floor and the slide out floor.

Play with the positioning of the plank on the side out floor. You will find the floor does not raise straight up and down, but rather the side closest to the street comes up, and then the side closest to the interior of the coach pivots about a hinge point on the street side. This is important because if you just install a plank flush with the interior edge of the floor, it will hang when the floor pivots up. The solution is pretty easy. Through trial and error, position the plank on the slide floor until it doesn't hang on the up swing. It will be about 2 or 3 mm back from the edge depending on the thickness of your plank. Then. position the edge of the plank on the fixed floor with a slight overhang to help close the gap.

I made an error and tried to make my gaps about 1/32, cause I'm OCD like that. You will be better off with a 3/32 to 1/8 gap.

Post a picture of your streetside couch. Depending on it's setup you may or may not have one additional challenge of getting the floor to slip under the couch end columns when the slide comes all the way in.

What I am really trying to say is that there are a few watchouts, but it can be made to work. It is best to use some of your planking and other materials to make mockups at the slide floor interface, and the fixed floor where the slide comes in and over it. The mockups and a little figuring will show you what critical dimensions you have for thickness and location of seams.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

In discussing this flooring issue with Richard, he also will point out that there is an issue matching the wood flooring height to the entry and kitchen tiles. You may want to visit with him regarding how to overcome the problem. As to changing the spiral entry, you may need to plan on modifying the A/C return air and filter metal work.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Is there anyone beside Newell that has experience installing wood floors in Newell coaches? What is ther average price?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Here is a photo of the Newell I put engineered wood in this past Feb
I used a carpet shim to come to the level of the tile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ernie, what was the year model on the Newell, and what would be the approximate labor cost to install an engineered wood flooring?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I believe it was an 05 4 slide coach. I did the front salon with engineered wood and the bedroom with carpet. The client bought the materials and the labor was $4000. It took about 10 days for me to complete the coach. Those with the drop down and come in slides are an engineering feat. But- clients are very pleased. I have more photos if there is any interest

looks like the members here don't do any interior renovations

I installed glue down luxury vinyl plank. We like it so far. It feels good underfoot....Solid but soft and quiet. The planks can be removed and replaced if one is damaged. I cannot comment on how well they work with slide-outs. Newell had installed carpet. I removed carpet and pad before covering floor with recommended plywood underlayment.
It sticks well even with coach on its side Big Grin

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.