You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pass front brake dragging building a lot of heat

97 Newell #439
Just arrived Orange Beach Al
When I arrived I noticed oli leaking from pass side hub cap up on investigation I noticed excessive heat on the hub cap and wheel. The hub cap oiler got so hot it leaks and will have to be replaced. I have located new oiler seal hub cap but am having no luck finding a source for service. Th brake has to be dragging causing this heat buildup. Any suggestions on a brake drag fix (release or back off)I can do to get back home for perminant repairs. They are disc brakes.

Thanks
Greg

Grego Rolleyes

1997 Newell 45' Coach #439 Series 60 Detroit Power 6 Speed Allison Automatic

(12-29-2016, 09:17 AM)gregoman1 Wrote:  97 Newell #439
Just arrived Orange Beach Al
When I arrived I noticed oli leaking from pass side hub cap up on investigation I noticed excessive heat on the hub cap and wheel. The hub cap oiler got so hot it leaks and will have to be replaced. I have located new oiler seal hub cap but am having no luck finding a source for service. Th brake has to be dragging causing this heat buildup. Any suggestions on a brake drag fix (release or back off)I can do to get back home for perminant repairs. They are disc brakes.

Thanks
Greg

Hi Greg.
It's probably the wheel bearing. More than likely you would have felt a brake dragging.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Any good heavy truck repair shop should be able to get you fixed up. Check for national chains like TA, Petro , Fyling J or possibly Loves if they have a tire shop attached.

If you don't have the bottle jacks to lift the wheel, then you will be guessing at the problem.

If it is the disc brake then, spraying some lube carefully on the slide pins, and gently pushing the pads off the disc may work. MAY being the key word.

If it is a wheel bearing, then you need a tech to help.

If you don't have the jacks, and the cribbing necessarily to get under the coach safely, I would call a mobile truck repair service. They see stuff like this all the time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )