You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Will not start

Coach will not start. It is cold (-5C) tried to start & turned over very slowly. Batteries had drained overnight.
Had tow service try to boost after charging for 4 hours & block heater on. Now doesn't even turn over.
Waited for batteries to fully charge, 4 hours later, still won't turn over.
Is there a fuse I could have blown?
This is a 1987 8V92 non DD.
Thanx for any help.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

The short answer is yes. Low voltage, high torque equals super high current.

Take your voltmeter and see if you have any voltage on the starter when Gail turns the key.

If not start checking fuses. I think you may have a 300 amp fuse in the Negative side.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-02-2017, 06:46 PM)Richard Wrote:  The short answer is yes.  Low voltage, high torque equals super high current.

Take your voltmeter and see if you have any voltage on the starter when Gail turns the key.

If not start checking fuses. I think you may have a 300 amp fuse in the Negative side.

Thanx Richard, I will try that first thing tomorrow. Too darn cold out there now.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

i had the big big fuse that was on the starting batteries go bad and i thought i had a bad starter.

i kept checking the batteries and they were ok so i was confused. ends up having good batteries with the fuse bad wouldnt allow it to start. duh.....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

This is the fuse

Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-02-2017, 07:43 PM)encantotom Wrote:  This is the fuse

Tom
Thanx Tom, I believe I have found my fuse and will replace it later today. Will get back to you with the results.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

make sure it is bad. easy to check and expensive to buy

tom

(01-03-2017, 09:46 AM)encantotom Wrote:  make sure it is bad.  easy to check and expensive to buy

tom

I checked continuity across it and it was good, so I'm not sure that it is the culprit.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Jim, I am sure that you have removed and cleaned the battery connections and the connections at the starter but I thought I would mention it. Any chance you can get the batteries load tested. They could be failing in the cold weather. The block heater uses a bunch of electricity itself but it is needed for cold weather starts. I am sure you turned the block heater off before trying to start it.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanx for all your help guys. It was a loose connection at the starter. All is fine, we are on our way south today. First stop Usery Mountain Regional Park just out of Mesa. Hope to see some of you.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.