You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

slide bushings

Thanks Tom for the tip!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Our 2001 Newell 2 slide coach is missing all four bushings and on the top of the slides we dont have magnets ( same as Chester's 2001 ) I am ordering set since I do hear some knocking noises while driving,

Great tips , thank you guys!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I'm a little confused here, could you guys teach me about the magnets and bushings? There are pin receptacles on the top of my slides and they could be removable but they appear to be metal so what method is used to remove them?

I was browsing and discovered there are drains from the pin receptacles to the bottom of the slide, so I pushed a 1/8" fish tape up and opened them up. The rear slide is still plugged. Any way you've found to open them up? I've tried air and filling the pin socket with water in an effort to soften the plug material.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon,
The metal pin receptacles are not removable. Inside the metal pin receptacles Newell put HWH rubber bushings to suppress any pin noise as you drive. If there is no bushing or, like mine, the rubber was all balled up in the bottom of the pin receptacle you need to replace them to control slide noise. I had to take a blade screwdriver and work the balled up rubber out before I put new bushings in. Once replaced, slide noise was gone. Purchased 4 from Newell & 4 from HWH. Newell was more expensive, but I got them within a few days. Newell's part # is 704260. Price in 2012 was $16.80 a piece. Hwh part # is AP13046. Price was $14 a piece, but I waited weeks to get them.

My slide works off micro switches and does not have the magnets. Tom's slides has the magnets, so maybe he can help you.

My drains were open so I haven't had to deal with the issue.

Hope this answers your questions..............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve, that clears some questions. I do not see any sign of a bushing in the pin socket.

Would the diameter of the pin be nearly the same as the socket and the bushing resides in the bottom of the socket? If that is the case, the bushing must be hollow to allow water to get to the drain opening.

I've looked at the pin rams and the pin appears to be about the size of the socket but it is easy to be mistaken!! The pin rams on this coach have micro switches to report to the controller that they are extended, is that a true statement?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

If the pin socket is totally clear, the rubber bushings just push right in by hand. The lock pins are just a little smaller than the socket diameter. The bushings just quiet the rattle noise. The bushings are hollow. One end is flat, the top is champhered. Install flat end down.

My coach, #531-a late '99,where the slides stop are controlled by microswitches. On some coaches Newell installed magnets by the lock pin socket to tell the locks when to extend. My locks are deployed by the solenoids. Tom's coach, #608--a 2002, has the magnets. If I explained the magnet use wrong he can correct me. If your coach has small nickel size magnets glued to the top of your slides by the pin sockets, then your coach would be controlled like Tom's. If no magnets, then it should be like mine.

I thought a picture of the bushings might be worth a thousand words:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

The bushings now cost $25.10 a piece, plus shipping... Ouch !!!

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I didn't think they were worth $16.80. Any one involved in rubber products that might look at making them at a reasonable price?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

anyone have a 3D printer?

Jimmy

Steve, or anyone else with the bushings handy, could you post the dimensions using a micrometer?
Mcmaster or Grainger or someone else might have something close enough to work.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337