You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

'89 Dash heat/AC controls

We are having a succession of difficulties with dash heat and AC controls in our '89 (coach #197).

The problem began when we had the AC compressor) replaced and the AC condensor fans rehabed a couple of years ago. After that, we noticed that, even if the controls are set to off, either the AC condensor fans are running or the front heater pump under the coach is running whenever the ignition is turned on. I took it in to have that fixed this month, and the tech worked on the front controls, concluding that the pushbutton control (Delco 3610-501) might be defective. He did not have the part, and could not solve the problem.

During the work, he disconnected the various spade connector wires running to the controls and attempted to substitute the control panel with a newer model that had a different array of spade connections. It didn't work, so he had to put the original push button control back in. When he was done, I don't think he was sure whether he reconnected them to the original spades. Since that attempt was made, we have lost all dash heat. The fans run for the heater and the defroster, but no heat comes. Weather conditions prevent us from determining whether the AC is really Working. I checked the lever valve (on the heater hose near the front pump under the passenger side of the coach) that permits coolant to go to the heater core, and the lever works and is connected to the cable coming from the dash controls. 

I am suspecting that the issue may be in the dash control. Does anyone have any ideas?

I could really use a diagram of which wires should be running to which spades on the rear of the controls. Thanks, Dick and Maura Quirk ([email protected])

Not sure what Newell used in 1989's. My 1992 uses an Everco A8075 control unit from a 1981-1993 Dodge truck/van and early 80's Charger and Cordova. Wish I could help out.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Its been a while but I remember my 1993 had an additional micro-switch added to the Chrysler hvac control. It activated when the heat lever called for heat. I believe it turned the coolant pump on back at the engine.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(01-18-2017, 03:44 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Its been a while but I remember my 1993 had an additional micro-switch added to the Chrysler hvac control. It activated when the heat lever called for heat. I believe it turned the coolant pump on back at the engine.

Agree, Richard pointed me to a micro switch mounted on the hot-cold lever. When moved from the full cold
position it closes the switch and starts the coolant circ pump next to the engine.

2003 foretravel designer series. previous 2000 foretravel 34 ft, isc 350, 1995 45 ft Newell coach 385, Foretravel [2], 4106, 4905, wayne bus, wanderlodge fc, gmc motorhome.
toads: 2011 honda fit sport, Yamaha Zuma 125, Suzuki tu250.
daily drivers: boxster and cayenne

That microswitch on my 93 also energizes the opening of a solenoid valve at the inlet to electric coolant circulating pump.

If the fans are running, even if the coolant pump isn't running you should get at least a little heat coming through because the engine coolant pump is operating unless something is getting in the way of the flow. One way to check this out is to get the engine warm, turn on the heat control, go to the engine compartment and feel the heater hose starting from the shutoff valve on the engine (remember there are two valves, on for the feed and one for the return). If the hose isn't pretty warm, make sure the valves on the engine are open, then check that the pump is running and solenoid valve, if equipped with one, are open and running. Basically, you are verifying the flow of hot coolant through the heater core. If I had to make a wild guess at the moment I would guess the shutoff valves at the engine got closed somewhere along the line of messing with the dash heating and cooling.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Typically the inline pump will only come on when the heat/cooler level is moved virtually all the way to max heat.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

on my 90 i replaced the control panel. bought one on ebay. i had to put the microswitch on it from the old one. mine turned the microswitch on by just barely turning the heat lever to the right. you can hear it click on faintly.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you for the quick replies. It will be a day or two before I can look at it; but i will get back to you with the results. If anyone has the part number and manufacturer of the push button control, or a wiring diagram for it, i would appreciate it. - Dick Quirk

(01-18-2017, 12:36 PM)Quirkrjiii Wrote:  We are having a succession of difficulties with dash heat and AC controls in our '89 (coach #197).

The problem began when we had the AC compressor) replaced and the AC condensor fans rehabed a couple of years ago. After that, we noticed that, even if the controls are set to off, either the AC condensor fans are running or the front heater pump under the coach is running whenever the ignition is turned on. I took it in to have that fixed this month, and the tech worked on the front controls, concluding that the pushbutton control (Delco 3610-501) might be defective. He did not have the part, and could not solve the problem.

During the work, he disconnected the various spade connector wires running to the controls and attempted to substitute the control panel with a newer model that had a different array of spade connections. It didn't work, so he had to put the original push button control back in. When he was done, I don't think he was sure whether he reconnected them to the original spades. Since that attempt was made, we have lost all dash heat. The fans run for the heater and the defroster, but no heat comes. Weather conditions prevent us from determining whether the AC is really Working. I checked the lever valve (on the heater hose near the front pump under the passenger side of the coach) that permits coolant to go to the heater core, and the lever works and is connected to the cable coming from the dash controls. 

I am suspecting that the issue may be in the dash control. Does anyone have any ideas?

I could really use a diagram of which wires should be running to which spades on the rear of the controls. Thanks, Dick and Maura Quirk ([email protected])

I have Coach 163, 1988, I could use a dash HVAC wiring diagram too.  Huh

You guys may wait a LONG time for the diagram appears. Electrical and pneumatic schematics only exist if an owner has sussed it out, and posted it somewhere.

I am sorry that I don't know these particular controllers. Are you looking for a diagram for the electrical wiring OR do you also have colored vacuum hoses that open and close the various louvers in the air control system.

On the electrical, it should be fairly easy to figure it out. Use a voltmeter and determine which of the incoming wires is Ground by ohming the wires to a known ground. Then setting the meter to volts, determine which of the incoming wires is 12V pos. The remaining wires are going to go to the fan, circulation pump, and AC clutch. By applying 12v one at a time to the wires you should be able to figure out which wire is which.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )