You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Water filter woes

Gang,

This is going to be a long, rambly post so let me give you the punchline first....

Check and make sure that you really have filtered water at your filtered water / hot water dispenser.  You can do this by turning off the "filtered water" supply in the water pump bay.  In my case turning off that valve caused my dishwasher to not have water, yet the dispenser still had water.  Oops!

Ok, so here goes the long story.

About a year ago, I had Newell replace my dishwasher.  The old one was getting error codes and since it was 15-ish years old, I figured a new one would fix the codes and would avoid a service call from Fisher and Paykel.  The new dishwasher worked for about 10 minutes and started throwing error codes just like the old one.  The culprit turned out to be carbon grit in the supply line clogging the inlet valve.  I thought...Oh, a water filter broke and put its carbon grit into the supply line.  Oh well.  Newell flushed the line and the new dishwasher started working again.

(fast forward a year)

On my last trip, I noticed that my water pump was turning on and off frequently.  I went to water pump and found a small leak.  A follow guru told me how to take the apparatus above the pump apart and reassemble to fix the leak.  Now, no leak, but the pump is still doing that turn-on, turn-off, turn-on thing.

About that time, I noticed that the dishwasher was showing error codes again.  Inspection of the DW showed that even with the power killed to the DW, it was still trickling water into the tub.  Ugh.  I went to the water bay and turned the control valve labelled "Dishwasher" off.  Water still going into tub.  Hmmmm.  I also happened to check the filtered water dispenser and lo-and-behold no water.   Hmmm again.

I traced the water lines, and found that the water line that exits the filter goes to a "T".  One side of T goes to the refrigerator and the other side goes to the dishwasher.  The filtered water dispenser was fed from the dishwasher valve and DID NOT PROVIDE FILTERED WATER.  JUST WATER DIRECTLY FROM THE TANK.   The filtered water and dishwasher lines were swapped....Probably when the coach was built!!!!!!   Because of the refrigerator connection,  I could not just swap the fittings.  

The way that I fixed the situation was to cut the PEX going to dishwasher after the T and also cut the line going to the filtered water dispenser and use Sharkbite couplers to swap the lines.  The Sharkbite couplers are just push-on and do not require any crimping tool.

Now the filtered water valve feeds the filtered water dispenser and the dishwasher valve feeds the dishwasher.

Lessons learned...
1.  I have stayed away from turning the water valves thinking I would cause a leak.  This is false reasoning.  Those valves are there for a reason and if they leak, they should be replaced.  If you do nothing else....double check your filtered water to be sure that it is truly filtered.
2.  If you ever find carbon grit in your water line, you might think about how it got there.  (I didn't)
3.  The water trickling into the dishwasher was caused by more grit.  It turns out that the dishwasher is actually kinda easy to work on.  (I posted the manual).  Removing the inlet valve and cleaning resolved the issue.
4.  If your water pump is cycling and you cannot find obvious water leak, double check your dishwasher.  
5.  The PEX tubing in our coaches is easy to repair using Sharkbite fittings.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

bill, you are getting pretty handy. you need to come and do some work on mine....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill, great information. Thanks for taking the time for the write-up. Where do you purchase Sharkbite fittings?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike,

Any Lowes, Ace, or Home Depot will have them. Not cheap but oh so handy. Buy the release thingie too.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Do they make one to replace this leaking joint? See pic. The connector has plastic pipeline in one side, and a threaded joint to the water filter on the other. The threaded side has a rubber grommet that wore out and I tried to seal with liquid teflon, but slight leak still. I looked at the site but not sure what I need.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike is the threaded section leaking or the crimped section on the pex pipe?

There is a sharkbite fitting that goes from slip on pipe to threaded but I have only seen straight ones and it looks like you need a 90.

Have you tried to replace the grommet?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

That looks like a garden hose grommet will fit.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If they don't have a 90, I know that you can get a shark bite 90....So come out with a straight...then a short piece of pipe and then a 90.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Mike,
I need to correct my earlier post...
 Here is a pic of a fitting I removed from my Newell when I installed the water softener. I don't believe there was a grommet in it. The brass is tapered and seats into a female taper in the other fitting. It may just need to be cleaned real well and lubricated with plumbers grease or petroleum jelly for reassembly.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yep, clean up the tapers. Don't use any thread goop or teflon tape, because that style joint does not work that way. The tape or goop may actually work against you preventing the fitting from tightening properly.

Thanks Dean, great photo showing what is going on.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad