You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

20kw Generator
Photo 

Coach has been sitting plugged in. New 8D starting batteries 1 week ago, house batteries OK. 13.6 volts at the positive terminal on the starter. No matter what switch I use, (generator blower compartment, above driver, or above microwave,) the generator will not crank. There is no noise of any kind, no relay clicking, no solenoid engagement - nothing, nada, DEAD. 

Only problem I ever had was a leak in the radiator. Have owned this coach since March 2004. Newell doesn't know and recommended a local shop in Tulsa. Labor at $108.00/hr. No fuse on the relay box in the blower compartment or on the back of the generator. Looking for ideas as this is the first no crank condition ever encountered.

Many Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2000 45'8" Newell Coach 539  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed

According to this thread http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=1646

If your fire extinguisher (FE) is not fully charged, it will keep your generator from starting. I think there are wires going to the FE, if you short those wires it will bypass the safety....but see if you can tell the charge condition on the FE.

Just a thought.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Considering the FE is 17 years old and likely has never been tested or recharged, that's a good place to start. I will inspect, bypass, and post the results tomorrow.

Thanks Bill !

I can help you through diagnosis if you have a voltmeter and a few basic tools.  It's likely the FE isn't your problem since it won't do anything.  The FE is in the solenoid circuit and is not part of cranking usually.

The first test is to see if there is any 12V on the set.  From that point forward I would need more info on the make of the set  and type of controller used.  

Send me an email if you like.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Is it possible that the "generator" push to reset circuit breaker is bad?

Which batteries does the gen start from? Is there a separate gen battery shutoff switch which could have been turned off during your starting battery replacement last week?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(02-22-2017, 08:18 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Is it possible that the "generator" push to reset circuit breaker is bad?

I will test it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

(02-22-2017, 04:00 PM)Jmginn78 Wrote:  Which batteries does the gen start from? Is there a separate gen battery shutoff switch which could have been turned off during your starting battery replacement last week?

I'm not sure which set it starts from. The engine battery and house battery disconnect switches are back in the "on" position. I'll have to trace it out tomorrow.

Your generator should start from the house batteries. That way, if the engine batteries are down, hopefully there is still enough charge in the house batteries to get the generator going.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

So you say 13.6 at the starter terminal on the gennie. If that is so
Don't chase battery issues.

Focus on the starting circuit that will pull the solenoid in for the gennie starter. Do you have 12v at any of the generator start switches? Will it start from the panel on the generator?

If you short the starter solenoid to the starter terminal *otherwise known as hot wiring" will the gennie turn over? It probably won't run this way because the fuel shutoff solenoid won't activate, but it would at least eliminate the starter as the issue.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )