You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler replacement

Looks like it is time to consider muffler replacement as the exhaust tip end is deteriorating. The muffler is a Stemco that has the following markings: Inlet C7

19X 2110C

Does any one have a source?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I just purchased a muffer & air filter from these people.
Good pricing & follow up
http://filterspro.com/results.cfm?searchfor=P524838

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Thanks Gordon. I'll call them tomorrow.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

My muffler and pipe is starting to go ! I am not sure any weld patch would help anything, will try to get all done in AZ next month.

Looks like owber before us backed up and put good size dent in the muffler and over the time the seams just broke open!

How much is to much to pay for the muffler ? I should get the model number of my old one first..

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I had the same problem, so we took it off and a welding shop fabricated new metal.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

After Chester's advice I started looking at repairing the muffler. Especially since Newell gets almost $900 for one. Was able to get it out and repaired. I fabricated a couple of patches and welded them on to cover & strengthen the deteriorating area which was by the outlet. It had plenty of metal & welded up good. Muffler is now very solid. Two problems I ran into. Very hard to get the clamp off the vertical pipe. Lots of PB Blaster, patience and small turns. I had to cut through the four hanger bolts as they were seized. The rear muffler hanger had broke on one side--I suspect it was broken & I didn't realize it. I was able to reweld the hanger and strengthen it. I've got a little painting to do while it is out. I'm going out today to get a new clamp and then I'll reinstall which should be no problem. Muffler is in pretty good shape now considering its age. Hope this will allow me another 3-5 years before I replace it.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, so glad it worked out for you. Here in Mexico, the welders are especially talented and it was no big deal for them. I had to shim the bracket because the bottom of the muffler was dented in a little bit. It's fun to save a buck sometime.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I took some images of my muffler and will have to tackle another project or have someone to do it for us , since we are on the road.

Last owner did hit low spot with base of the muffler and put good size dent in it, so front face plate where the pipe comse out started to crack.

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les,
Yours is worse than mine was, but I think you could find some one to "patch" it. A new muffler from Newell is under $900. A fabrication shop could build a patch or two or three and try to weld it. I say try to weld it because if the metal has rusted too much it may disintegrate when they weld it and you'll have to get a new one anyway. Of course you also have the labor of removing & replacing, which in my case was not a simple unbolt as everything was very rusty & seized. Now you need to weigh how much of the job you are equipped to do yourself & how much you'll need to subcontract. Weigh that against what a new one costs installed. Also consider that a "patch" is a temporary fix, whereas a new muffler will last you many years.

I had the benefit of having all the equipment and material to R&R the muffler, build two patches and weld it up. If it wasn't weldable I would have only lost a little time.

Hope this helps............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(12-22-2012, 11:34 AM)rheavn Wrote:  Les,
Yours is worse than mine was, but I think you could find some one to "patch" it. A new muffler from Newell is under $900. A fabrication shop could build a patch or two or three and try to weld it. I say try to weld it because if the metal has rusted too much it may disintegrate when they weld it and you'll have to get a new one anyway. Of course you also have the labor of removing & replacing, which in my case was not a simple unbolt as everything was very rusty & seized. Now you need to weigh how much of the job you are equipped to do yourself & how much you'll need to subcontract. Weigh that against what a new one costs installed. Also consider that a "patch" is a temporary fix, whereas a new muffler will last you many years.

I had the benefit of having all the equipment and material to R&R the muffler, build two patches and weld it up. If it wasn't weldable I would have only lost a little time.

Hope this helps............................

This might be stupid qestion, but why would you need the original muffler from Newell, You would think with so many coaches up there it has to be after mraket Co.who makes all shapes of them.
While having some small repair in North West I showed our muffler to the owner of the shop and he said it would be some 200-400$ for OM muffler , at the time we had no time to wait for the part.
My mother had cadillac back in 80's and whole two mufflers and pipes were like 600-800$ to replace ! Mufflers and pipes can vary so much in shape and the price you pay for!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb