You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Adding slides

Prevost coaches were very slow to start building with slides. I notice that many older(2000-2003) Prevost coaches have added slides. I'm just wondering if any Newell owners have investigated the feasibility & cost of adding slides to a non slide Newell. When I see '96 Newells on the market for under $80,000 I wonder if adding slides would be a money wise move for some one with a nice older coach they like. Just wondering..................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

I looked into that option back when I had my '93 Newell. I spoke to Auggie Augustine from Lake Charles, LA. He had a non slide Newell and had a slide added. He said it worked fine and that he had no regrets.

I spoke to the company that installed the slide, and they said that they would never do another one on a Newell. They referenced something about the amount of insulation and a few other things as the reason for not doing another one.

As I recall, the cost of Auggie adding the slide was about $40,000!

In my opinion, I would not buy a Newell with an aftermarket slide. The thought of cutting a hole in the side of the coach doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy!

In a few years, Newells with factory slides will be down in price - I would just wait for one of those.

Just my .02

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

at todays labor costs of $90-125 per hour, it is tough to have anything done at a reasonable cost let alone major work. i guess that is why most of us here do our own work as much as we can.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

We're specifically looking at coaches that do NOT have slides. Even if we were interested in a coach with a slide I don't think I'd be interested in one that was added later. One possible exception might be if the coach was designed to have a slide, and the original purchaser deleted it. Otherwise, I would think that doing the necessary engineering would be such a huge cost that it would be lots cheaper to simply buy a coach that had a slide.

I realize that we're in the minority about slides, but for me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

One thing I will say about Slide vs. Non-Slide. Set-up time and rolling room. If you travel with someone that does more than just sit in the passenger seat a non-slide coach is much more comfortable. Thats a fact that would be hard to deny. If you are like me, when Its time to go Its time to go.... Not 45min-1hr. to sweep,wipe,clean, check,hook,un-hook, just to retrieve slide to drive off. Getting into some of the lower basement is sometimes an issue for old backs.

However!! when sitting around the resort, in foul weather, Nothing like sitting inside 540+-sq.ft. of luxury.

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

after having one with and now one with slides, i have to say i like the slides. however, i am glad i do not have 2 slides in the front area, but could enjoy a 2nd slide in the bedroom.

with two slides up front you really lose the ability to easily chat with those that are riding in the living room area when you are traveling.

tom

I like 2 slides, because they are designed so that you can walk around the foot of the bed with the slideroom retracted. It's nice to have access to the rear bath area while underway.

My coach has the rear bath + half bath so the closets are in the rear bathroom. When we take a trip it is nice to be able to load/unload hanging clothes to & from the rear bath without having to extend a slideroom. On most 3 slide coaches, you have to climb over the bed to get to the rear bath closets. Keeping in mind that all Newells are different there may be exceptions to this statement.

With the low price of 1,2, & 3 slide coaches on the market today I can't see trying to add slides to a non slide frame. I would also guess that resale of the "coach with non factory slides" would be much less that one with factory slides.

With regard to "breaking camp" it takes my slides about 3 minutes each to retract or extend. I have a Zip Dee canvas awning that covers each slideroom so that twigs, leaves, etc. don't have to be swept off. I just turn the key, deflate the air seal, push the button to extend/retract then go out and latch the awning and I'm good to go!

Matt, tell Ronnie I swap with him - even trade!

Just my .02 Big Grin

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

On Cannons 47ft. you can walk front to back with all folded up. The King Bed North-South does divide in the center allowing you to walk down the middle to the rear bath. However the galley area and front salon does get crowded with coffee table and chairs and slide walls. They, being slide and non-slide are totally different rides...
Back to original question......Never would I cut a hole that size in my coach.

I want ONE (three) with but very happy with what I own.
maybe next round!!!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

those coffee tables that newell makes is really nice. however, it is sitting in the attic in my house. it was just plain in the way for our use of the coach.

tom

(12-31-2012, 12:48 PM)Express1 Wrote:  One thing I will say about Slide vs. Non-Slide. Set-up time and rolling room. If you travel with someone that does more than just sit in the passenger seat a non-slide coach is much more comfortable. Thats a fact that would be hard to deny. If you are like me, when Its time to go Its time to go.... Not 45min-1hr. to sweep,wipe,clean, check,hook,un-hook, just to retrieve slide to drive off. Getting into some of the lower basement is sometimes an issue for old backs.

However!! when sitting around the resort, in foul weather, Nothing like sitting inside 540+-sq.ft. of luxury.

You got it Matt......right on the money!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com