You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Heating system on a classic

As many of you of you have followed my saga this year as a new Newell owner I have lots to learn. Today I got a call from the guy that is recovering our jackknife couch. He said the webbing and other things in the seat area were all melted. Said it was the worst he had ever seen. He got it all fixed so no problems and the foam was surprisingly good.

I assume since this sits right ontop of the furnace that the heat from that is what caused this issue. I am wondering what suggestions you might all have to make sure things are safe and functioning here next year when I take it out of storage. The seat is the least of my concerns as I just don't want a fire and might need a little heater once in a while. We did not use it at all this summer as the rig was being overhauled by the time the temps fell. So I am all ears for suggestions.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd, is this this gas furnace we are talking about? Is the duct work under the couch, or the actual furnace? In ours the duct work for the furnace runs under the couch....the furnace is under the kitchen counter next to the couch.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Todd,
Here are some heat protection products that are used in auto racing. Fire prevention is a very serious concern.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_c...n=category

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/produ...Insulation

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/thermote...ormat.html

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

hi todd,

until you get to the coach and look at it, it will be hard to tell what is the culprit. on my 90, the front furnace was under the drivers side couch with ducts. if operating properly, it should not be melting your couch. i would make sure there isnt something wrong with it before i start covering it with heat shield.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is a furnace under that couch I assume as it is vented outside. Never closely examined it but I assume that has got to be it. Under the cabinets next to the couch on mine I have an ice maker. I know the flexible venting was not so flexible any longer and looked fairly brittle so no doubt it needs to have that all replaced and cleaned up really good. I think I will have my guy who fixed the AC unit look at all of that since he does HVAC for homes. He seemed to think our AC was not much more than the way a house is set up as you all had predicted he might. I have already replaced the thermostats since two were probably originsl by the looks of them and the third was rigged up on a board sticking out from a cupboard? Only thing I could imagine is that they did that to better control the AC zones.

Loads of stuff to talk about and decipher next year in Spearfish guys. It's like a 29000 lbs rolling mystery novel.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

I suggest that you check the Ducting very good. Our '82 has a Suburban Furnace under the Couch like you are describing. The outside is for the burner section and yes it does vent and that is where I found a wasp nest in the squirrel cage.
The air that is heated is brought in from the inside just behind the driver's seat and after getting heated goes through the ducting on each side of our couch. The ducting is held together using duct tape and after the years that wasn't in all that good of condition. Ours was leaking through some of the joints so I re-wrapped all of the ducting while reconditioning ALL of or furnaces.
Without getting a good look I am only speculating. Keep in mind that if one has a problem the others MAY as well.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Todd, Steve's suggestions are good ones....be sure the outside vent isn't blocked in some way.....wasps love those vents for building nests, and the duct tape at the joints may have gone bad after all these years.....good places to start.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Perfect just what I was looking for. Sounds like Steve and I have the exact same set up.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

One thing to check as there was a bulletin on the exhaust. It concerns the pipe that goes through the wall separates and could catch the wood on fire. I found mine separated and replaced the pipe. You can check it by looking through the exhaust port with a light or removing the cover.
update...
Added a drawing & Manual for visual... the bulletin concerned the exhaust tube crackiing ..

Attached Files
.pdf exst.pdf Size: 52.72 KB  Downloads: 17
.pdf subntnew.pdf Size: 341 KB  Downloads: 21

Jimmy

This is all number one on my list when it comes out of storage. I stopped by the shop today to see the couch and the guy showed me straps. They were melted alright.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia