You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Auxiliary Air Water Separator

My plastic tubing drains into a bottle mounted in the right compartment. It fills and I have to think to empty it, so I am going to drill a hole in the floor just large enough for the tubing. Problem solved.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

chester, mine is the same way. and i want to do the same as you. it is a pain to empty.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Got any pics Forest?

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Pictures? Sure I got pictures. Cool
I mounted the auto dump filter on the radiator shroud to get it away from the vibrations. I left the check valve mounted to the air compressor, made a bracket out of aluminum angle, then ran the drain line down through the gap in the middle where the air cylinder is. If you look there you can see a 3" or 4" gap in the weatherstripping.
The float in the filter was bouncing up and down from the compressor vibrations and causing it to blow puffs of air out through the drain. That caused the compressor to run 15 minutes or longer. Once I moved it is running again for 3-5 minutes each cycle.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

On512 Newell removed that.. Said they don't use them on any new compressors and a major spot for leaks due to the glass

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc the one I replaced was obviously leaking. Just couldn't tell, even using the Inficon Whisper leak detector.
The cycle time went from 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours. Here in Louisiana with our humidity the filter needed draining every few days. I'm surprised Newell isn't using them anymore. They must have something else in the system to drain the water.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Marc, there was at least a gallon of water in the wet ping tank on 512. The water separator will be going back in

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My 93 coach arrangement may not apply to your coaches but here goes; having traced the connections when I replaced the main air dryer, the output from my 120v Gast compressor is plumbed to the inlet of the main air dryer. My only concern with removing the Gast's dryer would be what happens to the moisture on its way to the main dryer in freezing weather. Otherwise it's just making the main dryer's job easier.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Jon,

You are right, but the only issue that I see is that the aux compressor never reaches the psi needed for the blowoff valve in the main separator to blow the water out

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, that is correct. It's all a matter of usage and the size and type of main air dryer. With the finned cooling type dryer Newell commonly installed this is no problem as it would just collect the water in the bottom until the it was expelled after engine start-up. With the desiccant type dryers I'm not sure how much they can absorb and what would happen if it got flooded. I didn't think of that when I installed my new dryer but now I have to.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed