You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slides won’t work

Hi, we have a  2002 45 quad slide and I can’t get any slides to operate (HWH slides). The lights work, ie. blinking yellow then solid yellow, when I push retract or extend the red light comes on, but no movement in or out. (I have one slide in, as it worked last week to check batteries). The slide seals are not deflating, so I think there must be a safety switch that won’t allow the slides to work. I’ve checked the fuses in the six clear face HWH boxes and the ones in passenger floorboard. 
I’ve been on the phone with Mike and Mark at Newell, and tried HWH (2 weeks before they will call me back, the lady suggested I manually close them!)
I’m thinking about removing the air lines to the seals, retracting the slides then reinflating them. Would that hurt anything?
We’re supposed to leave for Texas Saturday for month, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Randy

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Have you double checked that the emergency brake is set? (My coach has valid slides so this may not apply...but it might).

On my coach, there is no indication that the system has an error but will not do anything until I set the eBrake. I must have been playing with the leveling and the eBrake and accidentally left the coach parked with the brake off. No slide operation.

Once the brake was set, the slides worked.

See if you have the Emergency Brake indication on the dash.

Just a thought.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks, the brake is on, I tried putting it on and off, I even moved the motorhome forward a couple feet and reapplied it. Newell has assured me that the slide system will work even if the coach is not level, is this true?

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Bill, I just read one of your posts about leaking seals. If I can’t figure this out soon, I’m thinking about trying to deflate a seal on one slide somehow and see if it’ll work then. You mentioned a check valve, is there a way to release the pressure there? I would prefer to fix it now, but if I can get the slides in, after I get to Texas I’ll have a month to work on it.

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Hi Randy:  Always something isn't it?  We have Coach 638, so assume it's the same set-up.   There's a RED RESET BUTTON on the dash.  If you push that it resets the HWH System.  I don't know if that will do any good, but it's a good thing to try.  Make sure the Merge Switch is on and the Engine is running, and the coach is at Ride Height when you start the retract procedure.  I think the slides will retract with the coach all the way down, but I'm not sure. We've experienced the slides not wanting to operate properly, but have always managed somehow to get them to cooperate.  If your batteries are low and you don't have 13 volts, you could have some trouble.  You said Mike and Mark said the coach didn't have to be level, BUT I'm not sure that is exactly right.  We have had a message on the HWH that says "Excessive Slope" and the slides will not operate.   If you would like to call me on my cell...913-220-9553...I will go over to our coach which is about 5 minutes away and we can talk and try different things at the same time.  I know how frustrating it can be to when things go wrong, it's Thursday and the guys at Newell don't work on Friday.  It's Murphy's law.

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

Randy,

I think Ed is on the right track. I don't think deflating the seals will help. Even if you get the air off the seals, you still need the HWH to work to bring in the rooms.

I would idle the engine for several minutes and see if is voltage related. Next, I would first try the reset switch Ed talked about then call the factory again. They should be able to get you going.

Ditto on the level. Always, always, always bring the coach to travel height before "running the rooms". This is especially true in coaches with HWH slides....a little less true with Valid slides.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Have you turned on the override switch in the HWH compartment? I had trouble moving my coach with this switch in the off position. The switch is located in the panel to the right in that compartment. This may not be the issue but I leave mine in override all of the time.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks all. Here’s an update. Battery voltage is 13.3, the coach is in travel mode, (thanks to Tom for telling me how to check). But the auto leveling system and manual leveling are in operational. I did try deflating a seal, and checked that the seal was deflated and the slide still would not operate. Newell is having trouble with there phones and I can’t get through to service. The override switch is set to 220 which I believe is override setting. I’ve tried the reset switch many times. I removed the HWH dash panel and there is a link light that is on, which may mean the control box is broke?
Thanks again for any and all advice.
Randy

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker

Found this:

LINK LIGHT: LINK LIGHT FLASHING INDICATES PROPER COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE I/O MODULE AND THE TOUCH PANEL. LINK LIGHT ON SOLID OR OFF INDICATES A FAILURE.

Russ

PS - below is a link to the manual where I found this:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47715.pdf

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks, the light is flashing, but very rapidly. Sorry about the delay in posting. I’m trying different things, of course my multimeter quit so I had to go buy a new one.
Thanks

Randy and Kelle
2002 Quad slide. #635
24' Pace stacker