You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Back to my air leaks

you are too kind.I would be glad to do it while you help(watch).I currently have a broken collarbone and four fractured ribs(was helping Ron Paul mow his lawn) so you are going to need a pit for me to do it.Where are you?

1995 # 390

Brad, as I recall, it actually took him about an hour or so but I don't know what the labor charge was. They had the coach already raised on the suspension and blocked due to other things they were doing under the coach. A mechanic was able to loosen the hangers and crawl up between the tanks and get them off. I think he had to remove the brackets for the upper tank completely to get it changed out.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I wrote the check for this one! Watching was worth the price of the job. Had it done at ETLC by Jeff's pint sized mechanic, Dan. It was tough, but done without moving the tank. Of course, the coach was on a lift which I am sure helped a lot.
My check valves still had the model number clearly visible - Bendix 227871.

One of the new ones still has a very small leak and after hours I can see it. But I don't think this compromises safety in the least and I am just going to live with it. They are there just to keep the air for the brakes should you have a huge leak develop in the aux systems. With only a very small leak I would have plenty of time and air to get stopped and make a plan. I don't recall what Jeff charged as it was just blended in with some other work.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Keith, I am located just north of Yuma az. We winter on BLM land so we are boondocking.
Michael, I was figuring about an hour.
Russ, helps to be small on this job. Wonder if the bendix # would be same for my rig.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

So I got a small friend to help me and we removed the front tank and was able to get at the back tank in place.
Changed bot check valves and now tanks hold air for many days.

So that took care of that leak but there is still another. after airing up and the coach is level on the air bags the supply air gage will empty in less than an hour. I can not hear anything but my ears ring all the time so that don't help. Wondering if there is a check valve in the wet tank.

Thanks for your help guys.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,
If your coach is configured like mine, there is a check valve at the 3 gallon air tank that is mounted in the right rear wheel well.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

You probably have a pair of quarter turn valves on a bulkhead just ahead of the rear axle. One valve shuts off supply to the leveling system, the other controls supply to all the other non-brake air uses. On my 93 coach the the dash "supply" gauge reports the pressure in the non-brake/non-suspension circuit, and a gauge near my rear 6-pack reports the pressue supplying the leveling system. Due to common sourcing both gauges read the same when both valves I just mentioned are open.

Closing these valves and monitoring the gauges will tell you where to search for leaks. If neither gauges drops quickly then you have a leak between the supply tank and the new check valves you just installed, or somewhere between the engine air compressor and the outlets from the "supply" tank.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

On our '92 we have had the air shift modulator on the transmission leak excessively 3 times now. Once Newell had a guy rebuild ours which lasted about 3 yrs. Then had S&S put in a new one when they were running the bugs out on engine rebuild job. I now have a new one in my spare parts that is scheduled to go in as soon as I get a chance to work on it/ have it worked on.

Clint, have you discussed this with TH Anderson Kilgore, TX 903-984-5031? I found him to be extremely knowledgeable on the Stone Bennett air shifters.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Have not talked to him. I am not sure if mine is a Stone Bennett. The part that keeps leaking is I think a Williams part. I can post a pic when I get home later today.