You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Newell Coach Skin Rivet Inspection

i am finally getting around to this repair.  yesterday i took the trim pieces off.  for those that do this themselves, once you take the screws out of all the trim pieces (btw i labeled with tape the pieces so i would remember which ones went where)..... the first thing you do is put the slides out a little.  then you can slide the trim pieces on the slides (two on each) off with a little help with a wood block and rubber mallet.  

then put the slides back in, drill out the rivets on the round plastic discs that are at each end of the slides....that allow you to slide the trim pieces that are on the side of the coach over (they have end caps on them) and once you get it slid to the second disc, you can gently lift it over it and keep moving it till they are off.  

you can see from the pictures that all of the rivets on the skin between the two slides were missing on mine.  and all the rivets behind the rear slide were either missing or loose.  

following the lead from bill and richard, i will get the skin aligned, put rivets back in the original holes, then put bigger rivets in between the original ones.  i will do 2 rivets between each of the originals.

my skin had shifted nearly 3/16 inch.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i used a air over hydraulic floor jack right underneath the rear of the front slide where frame crossmembers meet.  i jacked it up until the skin aligned and the rivet holes lines up.  i measured and it was jacked up 3 1/2 inches.

then i cleared out all the old holes and used a harbor freight air rivet gun (which worked fantastic) and put in the same sized small rivets in the old holes.  

then i drilled new holes and put larger steel mandrel rivets in.  i did two rivets in between each set of old rivets.  then used the air riveter again 

let the coach down and it held nicely.  i still have to put silicon on the rivet heads to stop water intrusion.  i will also caulk the seam.  i also have to put back on the round plastic discs.  

next is to do something similar to align the skin behind the rear slide  

tom

Good afternoon all I have another rivet question. We were at Newell in June and they did the rivet recall. Now it looks like I have rivets popping or it’s the caulk that they covered the rivet heads are popping out. My question is how to tell if the rivets are ok or should they be replaced? I am loading some pictures any help or advice is appreciated.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Joe,

It looks like the paint or caulk dislodged from the rivet head. The heads look intact on the picture you attached.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Subaru Outback Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Joe,
A quick way to tell if the rivet is shearing or working in the hole.  You will see a black streaks coming from the suspected rivet. 

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Ok thanks so what should I recalled with?

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Is the rivit inspection something that Newell takes care of because of a flaw in the design?
You don't know till you ask?

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

yes, i believe they are still taking care of it and the fix too if needed.

just check with them.

if you want to call sometime i can tell you how to do it yourself as well

tom

When we were at Newell last Sept having a number of misc. repairs made, they did the rivit inspection at no charge to us and found that our coach was OK.

Dario

2001 #581 45'8"

Thnaks Tom, that is good to know. Ill be seeing them Jan 22 in Calif. Decided to wait for a few more months for repairs

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive