You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine does not turnover

It’s fixed, so no panic. This is more for someone else who may have this problem in the future.

Here are the symptoms. Key turns, instruments on dash come on, but engine does not turnover. Additionally, if you are stopped in a rest stop in South Dakota when this happens your stomach sinks to your shoes.

The issue for me was the starter relay located in the engine bay. It is just like the merge solenoid. After measuring the output when the key was turned and getting no voltage on the starter side, the problem was clear. Lucky for me I carry a spare merge solenoid. If you didn’t have a new one, you could rob the merge solenoid in a pinch

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for sharing. Good to have this information - easier to check voltage than to pull a starter Cool

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

thinking about this, I want to ask a question I think I already know the answer and make a comment. Since this was starter relay, the emergency start in the curb side engine bay would also not have started the engine? I was just thinking of my troubleshooting procedures and I would have tried that remote start.

in Newell's year PM, they change the merge switch. I have 2-3 spares from PO years past. If this is the same switch, I wonder why Newell does not replace it yearly? Should we replace it yearly or bi-yearly?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

i am not home but i do not believe it is the same solenoid. the merge one is meant for continuous duty and could sub for the starter but i dont think the ratings on it are suitable for long term starting purposes. but i would have to look at the specs. on the other hand, the starter solenoid is not meant for continuous duty and would not work for the merge solenoid.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I can tell you from experience that a starter solenoid will not last long as a merge solenoid (think less than 15 minutes) before it overheats and lets the smoke out. Don't ask how I know this.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The remote start switch in that panel activates the very same solenoid.

And from appearance I would say that may be the original. So it may not be warranted to change on the yearly PM

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

If all else fails....Using an OLD screwdriver to jump from + post on starter solenoid
To small post should engage starter

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Tom is absolutely correct. The continuious duty solenoid is not the correct one to substitute for the starter solenoid. The starter solenoids according to cole hersee literature can handle up to 700 amps for short periods, whereas the continous duty solenoid is rated for 200 amps.  Their commentary on sustituting a continuous for a intermittent is the life of the continuous will be shortened. That makes sense. 

I will replace the continuious duty solenoid with the correct one 

I found several starter solenoids with different model numbers by Cole Hersee. I think 24037 is the one I will use. The Cole Hersee website lists about 8 different solenoids with exactly the same specifications. It's confusing to me.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I also had this happen when it was a cool 107 degrees in New Mexico. Fortunately, in my case, I was able to use a large, somewhat heavy, screwdriver to give the solenoid a few well placed taps and it worked again.

Thanks for sharing this, it is invaluable to have this experiences that we have here and the steps to take to, at least, try to solve the issues on our own. It will never occurred to me to check that relay if the engine won't turn over, not to mention that might also fail if it is too hot outside.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)