You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bed lift attachment failure

For the second time now the attachment point at the bottom of the lift mechanism has torn out. The first time it happened I used a piece of furniture grade hardwood plywood to replace the torn out piece but it failed in a couple of years. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it?  I'm thinking of going to an aluminum plate.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

(06-21-2018, 09:31 AM)Jackflash Wrote:  For the second time now the attachment point at the bottom of the lift mechanism has torn out. The first time it happened I used a piece of furniture grade hardwood plywood to replace the torn out piece but it failed in a couple of years. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it?  I'm thinking of going to an aluminum plate.

Had two different failures on mine, can you post a photo?  One on the retract portion and one on the lift but neither failure sound like what you are describing

Steve and Ardys
2006 Newell #783

(06-25-2018, 02:13 PM)smquandt Wrote:  
(06-21-2018, 09:31 AM)Jackflash Wrote:  For the second time now the attachment point at the bottom of the lift mechanism has torn out. The first time it happened I used a piece of furniture grade hardwood plywood to replace the torn out piece but it failed in a couple of years. Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix it?  I'm thinking of going to an aluminum plate.

Had two different failures on mine, can you post a photo?  One on the retract portion and one on the lift but neither failure sound like what you are describing

Sorry for the delay, been a little busy and haven't had a chance to check the board. My failures were at the bottom attachment to the floor. I have attached a picture of my current fix, I used a combination of plywood and aluminum plate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide

(07-24-2018, 05:35 PM)Jackflash Wrote:  Sorry for the delay, been a little busy and haven't had a chance to check the board. My failures were at the bottom attachment to the floor. I have attached a picture of my current fix, I used a combination of plywood and aluminum plate.

Spreading the load over a larger area like you have done is the right way to go. Without the aluminum plate, the load of the actuator mount exceeds the strength of the wood - as you have found. The further away from the pivot, the less force is on the screw/ wood interface.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

What was torn out, the bolts holding the bracket or the screws holding the plate to the floor? My props ed solution will depend on where and what is failing.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

The bolts that tied the mechanism to the plate tore through, the screws securing the plate to the floor have never failed.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide