You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AC when in travel mode

Gang,

I should know the answer to this but I don't. Ok. I admit it!

When I an traveling down the road, with the generator off....am I draining my house batteries to run refrigerator and other stuff? Or, is there some magic way that the house batteries take voltage from the alternator?

Let me ask this another way. If I left Birmingham at 6am and drove at 60 mph for 12 hours. Would I still have ice in my freezer?

Somehow I always assumed that when driving the house batteries were kept charged...but now I don't know. I have not had any troubles...but I had time on my hands so I started thinking...

I know dangerous!

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The way I understand it is the system automatically merges the house & chassis batteries when the engine is running. The merge switches are used when you are parked or when extra boost is needed to start the engine. At least that is how it works on my '93. Yeah, I usually cause problems when I try to fix something that ain't broke....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest is correct. The coaches are set up to automatically merge the house and chassis batteries so they will both get current from the alternator when the engine is running. However, Newell recommends routine replacement of the battery merge solenoids. If the merge solenoid fails, you can end up running down the coach batteries. These are continuous duty solenoids. Do not let someone try to replace them with starter type solenoids. Starter type solenoids are meant to only be engaged for a few seconds, typically less than a minute, at a time. They will not last but a short time before they overheat and fail when subjected to continuous duty.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I am probably mistaken, but perhaps the later Newell models use and isolater which allocated the alternator current to the battery bank needing the most charge. Correct me if I am wrong.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Tom, do you know if your 2002 uses the same relay system as the 90's models did? Chester, I was making an assumption that Newell had continued the same system. We will try to get you clarification on this. You may be correct.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

it does have the same merge relay and i replaced it to be sure it was new.

i do have the same 3 position merge switch up on the dash.

there is a battery isolator, the blue box on the right is a sure power industries battery isolator.

to be honest i have not traced out how the merge switch interacts with the isolator. i believe it still basically operates the same way.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom. I thought I saw the merge relay on yours when I was at your house but as I get older, I don't always remember what I saw and what I dreamed. Wink

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Ok...So I have a merge switch, solenoid, and an isolator. If I leave the switch alone...the coach will figure out how to charge the house batteries? Or do I have to use the switch while driving?

One of the reasons I asked this question is that just after I got the coach, I stopped at a truckstop and the engine would not crank. I ended up merging the batteries and was able to get going. If I had somehow drained the house batteries, I would have been stuck. So fast forward to the question at hand. If the coach merges the engine and house batteries while driving...and I loose an alternator, then I could drain out both sets of batteries.

Or as if often the case...am I mistaken?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If you lost the alternator, you should know very quickly since the dash volt meter will show no charging. The house batteries should slowly discharge due to house appliances, not the engine. The merge switch should be a momentary switch, disengaging when released. Hope this is correct and helps.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks! On my coach the voltmeter on the dash is pretty iffy...but I do have the correct voltage on the Silverleaf. I am always afraid I will not notice when (and if) I lose the alternator. My coach has had problems with the belt running true...and has thrown the belt on occasion.

Although I think I have the belt issue fixed...it has left me with a lingering doubt!

Thanks for all the help!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama