You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Is it okay to stand on top of the slides?

Aside from the risk of falling off, of course.  Will it hurt them?

I want to stand on them to work on replacing some marker lights.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

I have stood on top of mine. I make sure I'm not wearing high heels at the time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

take a look at the slide cart i am just finishing. it is a less robust version than the newell factory uses. and i think mine would hold the wing up on a 747.

it has two 8 ton crane jacks on it. when i asked how much a salon slide weighs, they were not sure but guessed 2k lbs. so lets say 1500 lbs.

if you are a normal human weight (i am sasquatch sized), and you dont stand on the edge of it when it is fully extended, i would suspect there is no issue. in particular if your slides have pins that go down when extended (mine dont) i would say even less so.

the biggest issue is standing where there is support underneath the skin. since the skin is put on with adhesive, you will not visibly see where the supports are. kindy like walking on the roof.

that said, just get on the roof and change the marker lights that way. easier anyway

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks guys, sounds like it's no big deal if I'm okay with not point-loading the sheet metal up there.

(10-12-2018, 11:37 AM)encantotom Wrote:  that said, just get on the roof and change the marker lights that way. easier anyway

My problem is that I have solar panels up there on some of the edges, so I can't just reach over in a few areas. I also don't carry a tall ladder for getting up there from the ground, so using the slide will be really convenient.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

or come to my house and use my scissors lift.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Okay, I've been walking/crawling all over my slides, and they seem happy as clams. I recommend squeegeeing the water off of them first, however, and wearing grippy shoes!

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

While walking on the roof, I always step on the bows used to keep the roof in shape and support the weight.  Stepping in between can cause the ceiling material to become dislodged.  Use soft sole shoes for boaters such as Seabago or Topsiders which  protects the surface plus giving grip.  It's easy to identify where the supports bows are located, watch for the rivets that are transverse to the length.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567