You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Low power on incline or when entering highway

How can I increase the power when merging and on inclines? I have a Detroit 60 series in a 2002 Newell Coach.

Jerry and Sheri Crytzer
Fulltiime
2002 Coach #636

First of all, welcome to the forum!

About the acceleration.  ... are you thinking there is something wrong with the engine or just not satisfied with how it accelerates?

Can you share a little bit of what you are comparing your Newell to?  Other class A coaches?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Air+ fuel= Power
Are you getting enough boost?
What does gauge show?

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

what do you mean by inclines....like climbing to 8000 feet or just going up and down small hills

it is 50,000 lbs. it is not a race car. that said, i drove today and it accelerates plenty fast.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Just as a comparison my 1999 36' Foretravel with a Cummins M11 450HP engine is much quicker than my 1998 45' Newell was. But I only weigh 30,000 pounds. That extra 20,000 pounds you're trying to move is pretty significant.
Weren't the series 60's kinda loaded down with emissions, especially on take off? I know my 8v92 was slower than my series 60.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(11-09-2018, 05:02 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  First of all, welcome to the forum!

About the acceleration.  ... are you thinking there is something wrong with the engine or just not satisfied with how it accelerates?

Can you share a little bit of what you are comparing your Newell to?  Other class A coaches?

I don't think something is wrong with the engine although I am told it could be a turbo problem.  I drove fire trucks for 25 years which carry 1000 gals of water, a bed full of hose, and a lot of equip. I am comparing the acceleration of my coach to the fire apparatus.

Jerry and Sheri Crytzer
Fulltiime
2002 Coach #636

So the first thing to rule out is turbo problem. What is the max boost you are seeing. You should be in the 26 to 30 psi range. Anything less than that should start an investigation to find the cause of low pressure. Could be a turbo, could be a leaking hose joint, could be a leak in the CAC.

Most fire trucks and emergency vehicles have a special tune in the engine. Yep, it's turned up. Usually not a problem for short runs, but there is a reason that diesel engine manufacturers don't tune over the road engines like that. They tune them for longevity.

Can you find someone to alter the tune on your Series 60. Yes, you can. Is it worth the risk? Only you can answer that question. I have never heard of a tuner advertising that they don't know what they are doing.

All of this is my opinion, and worth exactly nothing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )